Body Found

manxy

Maybe the resident police should speed up their processing and there would be no need for all this squabbling and supposition.

Having to wait for a mainland bizzie / consultant to do the job for them before declaring what they eventually did is typical of IOM.

Its the AG's office that needs a foot up its arse not the police so much.

I suppose my wider point was a commentary on the media really. By Island standards, an alleged murder is a pretty big news story but the coverage was very low key compared with UK regional media. Some of you think this is due to police procedure and the law, but it isn't as you'll see if you compare with 'murder' reporting in the Island a handful of years ago and today's reporting in the UK regions. Some of you think it is out of compassion for the family of the deceased, but it isn't in my opinion.

It's my belief that the Island's media has reached new depths of laziness and inexperience and is more obviously than ever willing to sit back and be told what to report, and when, rather than asking questions and pushing the boundaries.

We see it all the time with government reporting.

Seriously? I can vouch first hand that the local media will use whatever connection they can to get a story and on the Island it is much more likely that they will have personal contacts. The fact that the media are exercising restraint in this case is fine by me. I do not know what more they could report that would be of interest at this stage anyway?

The main points at this stage are that a person has died and that two people have been arrested for alleged murder. The deceased has now been named and Police investigations are continuing. Seriously what more do you want??

In similar circumstances the last thing I wanted was the media pitching up at my door asking for me to comment.

I would just like to add what a fantastic job the Family Liaison Officers do.

• Like 2

Hello - me again, this time in the guise of the Constabulary's Media Officer (so many hats)

There is a fine balance to be maintained in the reporting of matters like this, particuarly in a small island community where people are so well known. We cut our cloth accordingly. I liaise with the Senior Investigating Officer (SIO) and between us we develop a strategy which keeps the public appropriately informed, whilst not compromising his investigation. And a key part of releasing identities is the work we do with the family. The media know our stance on this, and understand why we have a lot of ground to cover before we officially release details.

I carry a phone dedicated to media inquiries around the clock, and the press have this number. We communicate freely,so they are able to prepare their schedules effectively. These conversations also enable them to understand why it might be inappropriate to report some particular issue at that time, rather than just getting a stonewall 'no comment' response. The feedback I get is that this works really well for them. I think we enjoy relationships where we sincerely trust each other, and respect each others professional needs well.

A couple of other things -

We haven't got any 'UK bizzies' over for this job. Its totally self-contained, and the twenty or so officers engaged in the investigation are drawn from CID and neighbourhood policing, with the corresponding knock-on of their absence being absorbed by their colleagues. A Home Office pathologist has attended, as they do with any homicide, and we have also benefitted from the services of an independent forensic scientist, who has been engaged to assist with some specific scientific support issues.

And finally, for a serious arrestable offence, detention can be authorised for up to 96 hours without charge. And the detention clock can stop and start (legally) for reasons detailed in the Police Powers and Procedures Act, which to the casual observer might make it look like that 96 hours is even longer.

Hope this helps.

• Like 8

I liaise with the Senior Investigating Officer (SIO) and between us we develop a strategy which keeps the public appropriately informed, whilst not compromising his investigation.

Any views on Energy FM announcing, before charges or a trial, that this was a murder?

It wasn't a problem - no one was listening.

Inspector Flint, Are these telephone calls with the press recorded and will we get to listen when we get a FOI Act so we can hear them? Thanks

Even if there was a FOI Act I don't think there is any legal or moral requirement to record telephone calls. It would be incredibly cumbersome to do so, there must be thousands of government phone calls made every day.

Perhaps our resident legal eagle could answer this one?

Edited by mojomonkey

I like the way the Manx Police have gone over to social media. Honestly. Sort of makes them seem friendlier.

Anyway. Hope all goes well with your investigations Inspector. The result will be just. Of that we should have no doubt .

Respect where respect is due I reckon.

I carry a phone dedicated to media inquiries around the clock, and the press have this number. We communicate freely,so they are able to prepare their schedules effectively. These conversations also enable them to understand why it might be inappropriate to report some particular issue at that time, rather than just getting a stonewall 'no comment' response. The feedback I get is that this works really well for them. I think we enjoy relationships where we sincerely trust each other, and respect each others professional needs well.

Like I said - the authorities decide what we can and can't be told and the media do as they are told. It has happened here, which might be acceptable due to the nature of the incident, but it happens all the time in many other areas of public life.

I believe it is a dangerous situation for editorial decisions to be made based on the guidance of a government organisation over what it is 'appropriate' for the public to know. I don't blame the organisation for offering the advice, and I'm sure it is frequently well intentioned, I blame the media for accepting it without question.

... I don't blame the organisation for offering the advice, and I'm sure it is frequently well intentioned, I blame the media for accepting it without question.

It isn't (accepted without question).

Like I said - the authorities decide what we can and can't be told and the media do as they are told. It has happened here, which might be acceptable due to the nature of the incident, but it happens all the time in many other areas of public life.

I believe it is a dangerous situation for editorial decisions to be made based on the guidance of a government organisation over what it is 'appropriate' for the public to know. I don't blame the organisation for offering the advice, and I'm sure it is frequently well intentioned, I blame the media for accepting it without question.

I suspect it has more to do with the local media pay and conditions rather than Government censorship.

And also, people working in local media are also more likely to be a bit more sensitive than the ambitious hacks of the national press.

I reckon the Manx press do a good job on the whole. As do the Manx Police.

• Like 1