The Thirsty Pigeon

Lxxx

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What bitters are on there?

Doom Bar and Okells. Had one of each (the Doom ran dry and I wasn't waiting) and the pint of Doom was very nice. Okells is meh at the best of times.

Overall, nice little pub. Suffers from the poor accoustic problem Bar George used to have and there's not a vast amount of seating but its definitely going to be somewhere I return to. Was very busy last night, probably a bit overfull but I was only there 4.30 to 5.30 so who knows how busy it got later.

Thats the Okells that consistenly wins Gold Awards in International Beer Competitions is it ? Total of 7 awards this year

To name just one Example, Okells Aile Voted Best European Smoked Beer In the World Beer Awards 2013

That's the thing about taste, it's personal. I'm not bothered how many awards its won at some self congratulatory industry awards, it's not going to move it off the bottom of my own personal list of bitter choices.

IMO the Okells speciality beers, MPA, IPA, 1907 etc. are outstanding but I've never been a fan of their standard bitter. Quality seem to vary considerably between pubs. Probably a reflection on the quality of cellarmanship rather than the product.

How many times have you been stood at the bar & someone asks "what's the Okells like?"

It was the main Lloyds Bank for decades. I think the external night safe is still in the wall. Later became BICC which went bust.

Lonan is right the BCCI was the other side of the road where 3fm now is. I don't think there was never a branch of Lloyds there either, although there could have been. Its been empty for that long its hard to recall what was there. At some stage the end bit was a clock maker as the name is still in the render over the gable end.

Its a great venue for a pub though and so I hope its successful.

What bitters are on there?

Doom Bar and Okells. Had one of each (the Doom ran dry and I wasn't waiting) and the pint of Doom was very nice. Okells is meh at the best of times.

Overall, nice little pub. Suffers from the poor accoustic problem Bar George used to have and there's not a vast amount of seating but its definitely going to be somewhere I return to. Was very busy last night, probably a bit overfull but I was only there 4.30 to 5.30 so who knows how busy it got later.

Thats the Okells that consistenly wins Gold Awards in International Beer Competitions is it ? Total of 7 awards this year

To name just one Example, Okells Aile Voted Best European Smoked Beer In the World Beer Awards 2013

That's the thing about taste, it's personal. I'm not bothered how many awards its won at some self congratulatory industry awards, it's not going to move it off the bottom of my own personal list of bitter choices.

That's the thing about tasting and judging beer, personal preferences are the last thing that should come into it.

Beers are judged on:-

Are there any brewing defects in it

Is it true to style

Is it a comercial beer or a vanity beer

Is it Technical

Complex or Simple Malt base

Hopping regime

But hey, what do I know, you are obviously the expert

That's the thing about tasting and judging beer, personal preferences are the last thing that should come into it.

Beers are judged on:-

Are there any brewing defects in it

Is it true to style

Is it a comercial beer or a vanity beer

Is it Technical

Complex or Simple Malt base

Hopping regime

But hey, what do I know, you are obviously the expert

Surely not a serious post? He's talking about what he likes to drink, not about handing out ribbons

Archived