2014 Debate On Jobs, Work & Pensions

Manx1e44

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about this - sack a significant portion of the civil service and significantly reduce the salaries and pensions of the survivors. Change the law to scrap the redundancy packages currently in force.

Isn't the problem that that would result in a massive unemployment and the resultant benefits issue? How would you deal with that?

That's a problem, to be sure, but not as big as the problem we'll face if things continue with how things are going. We can have pain now, or a lot of pain later. There is no way out of this situation without problems arising.

I really can't see the redundant civil servants, most of whom are not from here, sticking around to live on the dole. They'll go back to the UK to find work.

That's a problem, to be sure, but not as big as the problem we'll face if things continue with how things are going. We can have pain now, or a lot of pain later. There is no way out of this situation without problems arising.

I really can't see the redundant civil servants, most of whom are not from here, sticking around to live on the dole. They'll go back to the UK to find work.

I know you have your own view on what constitutes Manx but how do you know most of them aren't from the Island. My own experience would suggest the opposite.

I do agree something needs to be done but a mass redundancy might only serve to undermine the Island's economy.

It's already undermined by the mass employment of civil servants.

Possibly true, but that's hardly offering a solution or adding to the debate is it?

The point is: the only solution to the problem of over-employment in the public sector is to reverse it with redundancy. I'm not talking about mass redundancy overnight, which I agree would be a bad idea; it needs to be done in stages. To begin with, we need some sort of "census" to really get an idea of who is doing what in the public sector. Isn't that what the "Transforming Government" division were supposed to be doing? When will their findings be put to our representatives for review?

It's pointless to just make a lot of people unemployed - part of this is to establish how 'work' could be provided in a society where 80% of existing tasks can be undertaken by software or robots, & how this 'work' could be paid for so everyone has 'income'

It's pointless to just make a lot of people unemployed - part of this is to establish how 'work' could be provided in a society where 80% of existing tasks can be undertaken by software or robots, & how this 'work' could be paid for so everyone has 'income'

The same systems of automation can just as easily reduce the need for management, yet we have management-heavy hierarchies both in the public and private sector. Why is that? Because efficiency has little to do with it.

I wonder, in 37 years time, what percentage of IOM residents will have not been born on the island. The percentage is increasing through past censuses.

The percentage of IOM residents born on the Island has been pretty stable for the last 20 years. From the Censuses:

1991 49.6%

1996 49.9%

2001 48.0%

2006 47.6%

2011 48.1%

So on that basis the answer "a bit under half".

Edited to add: Sources 1996-2011 online via the Treasury website 1991 Kermode Offshore Island Politics p4

There'd be an uproar in any other country if over half the civil servants were born in a foreign country. Can you imagine if half of the Saudi Arabian government was made up of Israelis? Or half of the German government was made up of French people? It's ludicrous and has gotten out of control. Even half of the half who were born here are not Manx but young people who were born here because their parents came here to work --- probably in the civil service as well!

There'd be an uproar in any other country if over half the civil servants were born in a foreign country. Can you imagine if half of the Saudi Arabian government was made up of Israelis? Or half of the German government was made up of French people? It's ludicrous and has gotten out of control. Even half of the half who were born here are not Manx but young people who were born here because their parents came here to work --- probably in the civil service as well!

Where are your figures to support the notion that half of the IoM's civil servants weren't born on the Island? I simply don't believe that is true.

Do you include hospital staff in this analysis TJ? If so, best of luck staffing it predominantly with Manx born people.

Archived