2014 Debate On Jobs, Work & Pensions

Manx1e44

Respect for coming on and making the comment Chris, but come on, it's not going to happen, not in a million years. We may have the 'debate', the public consultation, and all that bollocks, but the men in the grey suits on the big salaries and guaranteed huge pensions, who you get to draft it up, won't be working to any public or democratic agenda. The lifeboats will be for first class passengers only, and the rest will have to take their chances in open waters.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

downie the chimney sweep,dont make me fu*king laff.

Alex 'Machine Gun' Downie. He's always been a Laffer minute.

Would be funny if we were not broke because of arseholes like him.

Absolutely. Can anyone tell me what 'Machine Gun' Downie has achieved or done as a national politician for all the years he's been slurping the gravy ? One of the quiet men of Manx politics who effect gravitas, deep thought, and the old native wisdom. He now lives in the quiet and snug land of LegCo, where thought and speech is reckless. Mind you, he did get to meet Johnny Depp at Cannes....

I have every intention of joining the debate on here at the same time as taking it out to the general public through public meetings, putting the information on line and engaging in radio programmes and through newspaper articles etc. This will happen next year once my department, the treasury and our consultants have pulled together a set of options for people to consider.

Why are we going to be given a set of options to consider? Giving people options implies that you're giving them a choice. Are we going to be allowed to vote on it in a referendum?

How about this - sack a significant portion of the civil service and significantly reduce the salaries and pensions of the survivors. Change the law to scrap the redundancy packages currently in force.

Isn't the problem that that would result in a massive unemployment and the resultant benefits issue? How would you deal with that?

Archived