£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

The latest developments on sewerage charges. This proposal still isn't near a fair means of charging for the services provded.

From Manx Radio News:

Manx Utilities Authority plans to make sewerage charge changes
Published online at 21/10/2014 14:52:46

The chairman of the Manx Utilities Authority intends to introduce a fairer method for its controversial sewerage charge, the so-called "toilet tax".

Michael MHK Alf Cannan gave a statement to Tynwald this afternoon suggesting the tax change from the current flat fee to a "sewage rate".

The proposal states the new charge will be set at 62p for every pound of rateable value on a property, with the intention of it increasing to 92p the following year.

Mr Cannan says this is the best option available for a bad situation:

That is worse surely?

Better in my view although I will pay more. Yes not ideal and hopefully they will come up with a better system as part of the revaluing of properties exercise, but in my opinion it is better than the flat rate charge and basically what they should have done originally. i.e just add to the current water rate.

You bet it is worse.

My modest 3 bedroom bungalow with a sun lounge - rateable value £200.

This equates to £124 next year instead of what was originally proposed of £100 and then £184 year following and goodness knows what subsequently.

This is a MASSIVE STEALTH TAX

Its just bloody ridiculous a quick look through Deanwoods properties for sale and a 2-3 bedroom house could be anywhere from £79-£200, how an earth can that be considered fair?

Surely a fairer rate should be a combination of the amount of people residing in the household and a calculation of all appliances, showers, toilets etc. having an individual grading similar to white electrical goods?

Or just install water meters measuring in and out like is done in parts of the UK, you pay for what you use, simple as that.

• Like 1

I think a fair way might be to base on the ability to pay. If only there was some way though that Government could assess what our income was then maybe they could levy a charge based on that to pay for it. Thinking totally off the wal possibly they could charge on a percentage basis but they would need to give it a name. maybe something like tax. I appreciate it is a radical idea but .....