Folk Music

LightBulb

Yes, I don't know when they are on though....my music teacher will know, I do not have a lesson until next Friday now however, I will ask him then. I think he mentioned the White House in Peel when we spoke about 'clubs' previously, ask about in Peel, someone is bound to know :)

The White House in Peel has a good shin dig (maybe Friday nights?) which is a great craic after a few pints of Manx Spirit with sea water.

Thanks for the replies.

I contacted john and he sent me the below list.

Wednesday at O'Donell's Pub, Castle Street, Douglas - Irish music and song 8.45.

Thursday at the Mitre Hotel, Parliament Street, Ramsey 8.30 pm - mainly song.

Friday at Green's Tea Rooms (opposite corner to the Tynwald Inn) St. Johns 8.30 pm. This is the session that used to be at the Tynwald Inn - music and song.

The trio "Sho Slaynt" run a session at the Highwayman Pub, Peel but I'm not sure if it's on the first or second Friday of the month or the first and second Friday 8.30 pm.

Last Friday of the month there's a Manx music and song session at the Albert Hotel, Port St. Mary 9 pm.
Saturday at The White House, Peel, 10 pm.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to tell you about Greens and O'donnells smile.png Friday and Wednesday respectively

I went to greens on friday, and it was totaly different that what used to be at the Tynwald Inn, ( a dozen in there at most with various instruments all playing thier own music )

I take it manx folk music is now a rearety. ( unless i went on the wrong Friday ).

Is there anywhere on the island that still plays manx folk music ?

Depends on what type of folk music that you mean ? There used to be a thriving folk scene on the Island, but as in the UK it almost died out in the 1980's. There's a bit of a resurgence over there at the moment, but it will never get back to its heyday of the 1950's, 60's and 70's. What little folk music that survives on the Island is mostly of the fiddle-de-dee type, 'oul Manx' with a heritage makeover; or 'singalong Irish' variety; that usually IMHO bears little relation to its proper origin, and is usually without musicality, genuine expression or meaning, or that essential dash of politics that spices most of the best and truest folk music. There are encouragingly a few young local performers coming through who have genuine talent but there's not really a scene as such. A lot of it is of course connected to the decline of pubs and clubs as vibrant social venues.

Folk music (like other genres of music) is a broad term and covers a lot of tastes and styles. I like quite a lot of folk music but mostly can't abide the 'finger in the ear' type. As with all styles of music, the important thing for me is to keep it real.

It's an interesting subject that you've raised and I'd be interested in other people's opinion. Also some memories of great folk nights from the past would be good to hear about. These are just some of my views and I'm sure others would disagree; but I hope you find some music that you like.

• 1 month later...
Moghrey Nie to All:

This Morning, I got up and did some Packing for my Summer Solstice Streamkeepers Overnight of Camping and then decided to put on some Celtic Music to go with some Incense Burning on my Personal Altar.

Here is a Good Radio Station I found a few months ago that Plays some Very Good Druidicist Spiritual Music called Wyldwood Radio:

3X3

I was just about to tell you about Greens and O'donnells smile.png Friday and Wednesday respectively

I went to greens on friday, and it was totaly different that what used to be at the Tynwald Inn, ( a dozen in there at most with various instruments all playing thier own music )

I take it manx folk music is now a rearety. ( unless i went on the wrong Friday ).

Is there anywhere on the island that still plays manx folk music ?

Oh, I went the other week and thought it was quite lovely. I'm not big into folk, but there are some nice harmonies to be heard, they told me to bring my instrument next time (so I haven't been back...) I was trying to learn songs from the Yellow book (that is Manx Folk songs) to impress them with but it is one thing playing an instrument in my house and another actually taking the instrument anywhere else to play.

• 4 years later...
On 6/21/2014 at 9:15 AM, TheDruid-3X3 said:
Moghrey Nie to All:

This Morning, I got up and did some Packing for my Summer Solstice Streamkeepers Overnight of Camping and then decided to put on some Celtic Music to go with some Incense Burning on my Personal Altar.

Here is a Good Radio Station I found a few months ago that Plays some Very Good Druidicist Spiritual Music called Wyldwood Radio:

3X3

Just found out that Old Wyldwood URL is no longer Online.  Wyldwood Pagan Radio is now at:

https://tunein.com/radio/Wyldwood-Radio-s186470/

3X3

Archived