Cycle lane & road Islands

oldmanxfella

I see the Marx Brothers have now finalised the road layout and markings on Peel Road today. Is that pathetic strip at the side of the road (that leads to nowhere and seems to disappear in places) meant to be a cycle lane? After all that money if it is, its the shittest most ineffectual cycle lane I've seen anywhere in Europe.

Also, I saw at least 3 cars clip the road island at Pulrose Bridge tonight. WTF is all that about? Why do they need to put a solid island in (right in the wrong place) when presumably the pedestrians will cross via a pelican crossing so they will have plenty of time to cross the whole road as the lights will be on red when they cross.

What is the point of all this stupid road furniture? It just gets worse and worse. Shut down for months and months and now a total dogs breakfast of painted zones and concrete islands.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the Marx Brothers have now finalised the road layout and markings on Peel Road today. Is that pathetic strip at the side of the road (that leads to nowhere and seems to disappear in places) meant to be a cycle lane? After all that money if it is, its the shittest most ineffectual cycle lane I've seen anywhere in Europe.

Also, I saw at least 3 cars clip the road island at Pulrose Bridge tonight. WTF is all that about? Why do they need to put a solid island in (right in the wrong place) when presumably the pedestrians will cross via a pelican crossing so they will have plenty of time to cross the whole road as the lights will be on red when they cross.

What is the point of all this stupid road furniture? It just gets worse and worse. Shut down for months and months and now a total dogs breakfast of painted zones and concrete islands.

You'd be wise to wait until the scheme is complete before offering an ill judged opinion.

You'd be wise to wait until the scheme is complete before offering an ill judged opinion.

He's right about the stupid wheel buckler though!!

No he isn't, there's a mandatory 10mph speed limit in place and if motorists, especially driving in an unfamiliar road layout kept to somewhere near that speed then wheels would not be buckled.

If you consider the amount of traffic through Peel Road on a daily basis and the vast majority probably about 99.9% manage to negotiate the road without causing damage to their cars or the kerbs then this speaks volumes.

No he isn't, there's a mandatory 10mph speed limit in place and if motorists, especially driving in an unfamiliar road layout kept to somewhere near that speed then wheels would not be buckled.

If you consider the amount of traffic through Peel Road on a daily basis and the vast majority probably about 99.9% manage to negotiate the road without causing damage to their cars or the kerbs then this speaks volumes.

Is it always going to be 10mph through there then?

No it isn't, but at present and until the scheme ends it not only helps keep the operatives working on the scheme safe but also allows motorists and pedestrians to familiarise themselves with the new layout so that when the road goes 'live' and the traffic signals are in operation confusion is at or should be at a minimum.

No it isn't, but at present and until the scheme ends it not only helps keep the operatives working on the scheme safe but also allows motorists and pedestrians to familiarise themselves with the new layout so that when the road goes 'live' and the traffic signals are in operation confusion is at or should be at a minimum.

As you seem to have a finger on the pulse, can you tell us what the two yellow coated wombles do who are permanetly stood on the corner of pully bridge with their hands in pockets looking bored to death.

I forgot you are one of the clowns employed by this circus. As you're part of the team responsible for fucking up our entire road network I really couldn't give a crap what your view is.

I forgot you are one of the clowns employed by this circus. As you're part of the team responsible for fucking up our entire road network I really couldn't give a crap what your view is.

And yet you responded

As you seem to have a finger on the pulse, can you tell us what the two yellow coated wombles do who are permanetly stood on the corner of pully bridge with their hands in pockets looking bored to death.

They monitor the traffic so that if it backs up they can manually control the signals to help ease the congestion.

Archived