Cycle lane & road Islands

oldmanxfella

If you consider the amount of traffic through Peel Road on a daily basis and the vast majority probably about 99.9% manage to negotiate the road without causing damage to their cars or the kerbs then this speaks volumes.

So that's one a day?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They monitor the traffic so that if it backs up they can manually control the signals to help ease the congestion.

If they're there all day 'monitoring', why don't they just manually control the signals while they're there rather than just stand around?

presumably the obstructions on the road are to stop the fire engines trying to get past queues of traffic :lol:

wonderful !

You couldn't make it up. Never let piffling things like fire engines and ambulances get in the way of another perfectly executed DOI disaster!

Just seen three drivers going past the ROAD CLOSED sign at the Quarterbridge end of the Peel Road.

A mere road closed sign isn't going to get in the way of a Big Mac for some people.

To be fair though who decided to put that road closed sign up AFTER you've already turned left on the roundabout and gone through the roundabout? Surely you put it well before the roundabout warning people they can't go left BEFORE they pick their lane for the roundabout and before they enter the roundabout?

Now you get loads of people going 'Oh shit the roads closed' straight after they've pick their lane and they are comitted to going through the roundabout then they have to do a massive u-turn at the firestation 50 yards after they've read the sign that's in totally the wrong bloody place telling then the road is closed.

Just seen three drivers going past the ROAD CLOSED sign at the Quarterbridge end of the Peel Road.

Presumably they didn't notice them, some people are very unobservant.

ETA - the above post would suggest they were in the wrong place

On the other hand, many signs are unnecessary or outdated, e.g.

There's been a sign by Hills Meadow on Peel Road to the effect that you can only go ahead as far as the Milestone and that all through traffic has to turn left through Pulrose. That hasn't been the case for months and will probably still be there when the work is finished.

At Port Jack, during recent kerb replacement work, there was always a sign warning of traffic lights, even when they weren't there over the weekend, evenings, and some days. They's take the lights and ancillary equipment away, but leave the signs out.

Currently there's a road narrows sign there that sometimes causes single file traffic. It must be twice the width of the cones left against the kerb that supposedly narrow the road.

Presumably they didn't notice them, some people are very unobservant.

ETA - the above post would suggest they were in the wrong place

On the other hand, many signs are unnecessary or outdated, e.g.

There's been a sign by Hills Meadow on Peel Road to the effect that you can only go ahead as far as the Milestone and that all through traffic has to turn left through Pulrose. That hasn't been the case for months and will probably still be there when the work is finished.

At Port Jack, during recent kerb replacement work, there was always a sign warning of traffic lights, even when they weren't there over the weekend, evenings, and some days. They's take the lights and ancillary equipment away, but leave the signs out.

Currently there's a road narrows sign there that sometimes causes single file traffic. It must be twice the width of the cones left against the kerb that supposedly narrow the road.

That is very true, there are lots of roadworks on the island that the signs are just rubbish and give Little or no warning to the motorist. I am told it is so poor on the island because the signs are checked by the DOI, in the UK the Police oversee what is being put out and and one big no no is leaving signs out where there is no work anymore, big fines for that my mate tells me.

some of the temporary signage is very badly placed, the other day I was coming down Spring Valley, moved into the right hand lane to turn into Groves Road, and on the far pavement was a sign about problems ahead at Pulrose Bridge, which was way too late, I was committed to turning right and I ended up turning in Saddle Mews entrance and going to town via Kewaigue !

/eejits

Boris Johnson, on 10 Apr 2014 - 09:53, said:

The Old Git, on 10 Apr 2014 - 09:36, said:

Moghrey Mie, on 09 Apr 2014 - 22:18, said:

big fines for that my mate tells me.
Good to hear, especially from such an authoratative source.

some of the temporary signage is very badly placed, the other day I was coming down Spring Valley, moved into the right hand lane to turn into Groves Road, and on the far pavement was a sign about problems ahead at Pulrose Bridge, which was way too late, I was committed to turning right and I ended up turning in Saddle Mews entrance and going to town via Kewaigue !

/eejits

If more people went into town via Kewaigue and the Nunnery Road (the preferred route) there would be much less congestion at the Quarterbridge. I don't understand why they are not encouraged to do that.

If more people went into town via Kewaigue and the Nunnery Road (the preferred route) there would be much less congestion at the Quarterbridge. I don't understand why they are not encouraged to do that.

What the DOI has failed to do over the years is accept that on an Island people drive as the crow flies. Why go round the houses because they bloody well want you to by being such dicks and shutting roads for ages - when you can get in your car and drive from A to B directly? Its not rocket science.

They can make it as difficult as they like to use a route by pissing you about but psycologically the Island mentality is to drive from A to B along the most direct route possible.

Archived