Cycle lane & road Islands

oldmanxfella

HeliX

Cyclist comes though red light, say. Car on green swerves to avoid him and hits another car or pedestrian.

Cyclist is liable on investigation and should have insurance to cover that liability - he does not!

As a road user he is no different to a car driver and should have insurance, not just to cover his own vehicle but to cover against damage he may, however inadvertently, cause to others.

A pedestrian running into the road would have the same effect - should they have insurance?

Pay attention - are they a road user? Of course not. Don't be silly!

But they would still be liable if found at fault.....

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3986796.ece

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, they are. Many roads don't have pavements, and pedestrians have to cross roads. Hows that any different from a cyclist?

HeliX

Cyclist comes though red light, say. Car on green swerves to avoid him and hits another car or pedestrian.

Cyclist is liable on investigation and should have insurance to cover that liability - he does not!

As a road user he is no different to a car driver and should have insurance, not just to cover his own vehicle but to cover against damage he may, however inadvertently, cause to others.

A pedestrian running into the road would have the same effect - should they have insurance?

Why does that make a difference? Your example of the cyclist causing an issue and not having the money to pay because of no insurance leaves the victims in exactly the same situation as if a pedestrian did it.

Aren't most car drivers also already taxpayers as well? So why should car drivers also have to pay to maintain roads and improve facilities for motorists - if that is really what the money is used for?

Your vehicle licence isn't paying for your roads. Roads are funded out of the tax pool, which includes the vehicle license and other taxes. Not everyone who uses the roads pays vehicle tax, only motorised vehicles that are a drain on resources and the environment and need to be controlled accordingly. Cyclists, horses, pedestrians, mobility chairs, pogo sticks, stray dogs and ants all use the roads and don't pay vehicle duty. The fact that you do pay vehicle duty doesn't give you any more rights to use the road than someone who doesn't. I pay vehicle duty and I ride a bike.In our society, we don't get out of government exactly what we put in. If I need brain surgery I'll take more than I pay. If I'm lucky enough to not need expensive medical assistance I'll end up paying for something I don't use. If I don't have kids, I'll pay schools that I'll never enjoy. That's how an inclusive society works. Your selfish and short minded view is prejudiced against people who aren't like you.

Let cyclists pay for the creation of cycle lanes by charging them also to use the roads. Let's also make sure they have compulsory road insurance to protect other motorists against their actions.

Yeah, whatever.

Skelly said on Manx radio today ( every penny of your road tax is spent on the upkeep of the roads ) is he wrong too?

And there's the problem with cycle lanes. Roads are to be shared, not segregated. It's not your road. Pedestrians use the cycle lane on the prom, are they cunts too?

Skelly said on Manx radio today ( every penny of your road tax is spent on the upkeep of the roads ) is he wrong too?

Yes. They're not the same pounds. VED receipts are around 12 million. The highways devision costs more than that. Peel road alone cost what, £4 million? Every penny and more would be more accurate.

Beside the point though, I'm sure the amount taken in VED is allocated to their spending budget even if it is supported by other revenue, but paying a tax on something doesn't mean you own it. Same way smokers aren't more entitled to use hospitals because they pay tax that goes to health.

He implies that VED is a hypothecated tax, which simply is not true. If the budget for the roads is increased by the same or more than any additional tax take as a result of VED then he might have a point in a roundabout kind of way.

And there's the problem with cycle lanes. Roads are to be shared, not segregated. It's not your road. Pedestrians use the cycle lane on the prom, are they cunts too?

Yes. They're not the same pounds. VED receipts are around 12 million. The highways devision costs more than that. Peel road alone cost what, £4 million? Every penny and more would be more accurate.

Beside the point though, I'm sure the amount taken in VED is allocated to their spending budget even if it is supported by other revenue, but paying a tax on something doesn't mean you own it. Same way smokers aren't more entitled to use hospitals because they pay tax that goes to health.

I couldn`t give a fuck about the lane on the prom, never used it, only you cunt cyclists have a problem with it.

I just don't get this hatred of cyclists. When I see a cyclist I usually think 'good on em' off their settee doing something useful. Also I like to skeet at the bikes their riding, cannondale pah! I'm not a keen road cyclist but my brother is and the thought of anything awful happening to him because of some inconsiderate driver who wants to be 50 yards up the road NOW! doesn't bare thinking about. We have already lost one potential great cyclist on this island we don't want any more. Furthermore, we have 2 homegrown world cyclists from these shores and we should be proud of that fact, and we got more talent coming through. Also the other day, Kennaugh whizzed past me in Port Erin and thought look at that, Olympic champion just gone by. Fucking brilliant. So let them get on with what their doing, and just sit behind them if you need to, it will only be about 30 seconds. Now what really pissed me off was stuck behind old Missus Miggins in her Nissan Micra doing 12mph along Gansey with a huge tailback. Probably never passed a test, lucky if she could see past the end of her bonnet, turning her head talking to her passenger and absolutely oblivious to the traffic behind her. Now that's the real problem of the roads. And she pays road licence, what a fucking c@&t.!!!!

I couldn`t give a fuck about the lane on the prom, never used it, only you cunt cyclists have a problem with it.

Ah giz a hug you big softie?

Are these cars in the cycle lane cunts by the way?

Bk9eD_XIYAAewrJ.jpg

No idea, but the the driver who took that pic is a cunt for using his mobile phone while driving. I bet he also rides a bike, selfish wanker.

Archived