Cycle lane & road Islands

oldmanxfella

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some of the temporary signage is very badly placed, the other day I was coming down Spring Valley, moved into the right hand lane to turn into Groves Road, and on the far pavement was a sign about problems ahead at Pulrose Bridge, which was way too late, I was committed to turning right and I ended up turning in Saddle Mews entrance and going to town via Kewaigue !

/eejits

If more people went into town via Kewaigue and the Nunnery Road (the preferred route) there would be much less congestion at the Quarterbridge. I don't understand why they are not encouraged to do that.

the problem with that route is that the bridge comes up and holds the traffic up for what seems like ages. add to that if you go the north key route you have to do a 180 by tescos/bus depot cos you cant turn right. the whole route that way is a goat fuck

If we have to have cycle lanes (and now that we have lets make them pay to use them) why on earth didn't the road planners use some of the overly wide pavement rather than restrict the road lanes?

Who is the MHK responsible for this now?

I do pay to use them, I pay tax. Used the lane tonight, it's better than nothing (going into douglas), but it's a bit odd going in the other direction, seems to get squeezed by the bus stops etc. Don't like the way they've stopped it on circular road, would have been better to draw a line gradually into the pavement rather than just box it off.

Agree about the pavement though, lots of scope to trim that down on peel road, no idea why it's so big.

If any MHK reads this topic (Chris Thomas perhaps?) can they please ask some simple questions on behalf of the long suffering road users who now pay more road tax on average than the UK road user, for fewer available roads which are closed more of the time :

- why are the pavements on Peel Road so wide and why was no provision made for a dual carriageway to ease traffic congestion and separate traffic at Pulrose Bridge when leaving Douglas? The new situation is worse than it was before in this regard.

- why is the road island for traffic leaving Douglas toward Quarterbridge at Pulrose bridge so awkwardly angled?

- why can the cycle lane not be moved on to the overly wide pavement (as on the promenade) to allow for two car traffic lanes?

I'm sure others on here will have additional questions. It's like the two lanes coming in to Douglas from Peel at Braddan Church roundabout. The QB (left) lane is stupidly narrow but the DoI response was that it's 'regulation width'.....

...... and another thing...cambers on roundabouts, is there any need? Anyone travelling too fast to control their car on a round about (according to the internet, that is what they're for) should not be on the roads. I take the children for a ride on "The prom" it's the best roller coaster entertainment the Isle of Man has to offer, you get the rickety rackety old school feel of the mouse trap coaster (I guess my low profile alloy wheeeeeels don't help...), followed by up up and around on the potty roundabout by the Sea Terminal, quite fun except for my constant whinging about the ridiculous up and down on the roads.

I wonder if they'll put one on the QB when they redo that, could make the TT interesting.

Just seen three drivers going past the ROAD CLOSED sign at the Quarterbridge end of the Peel Road.

Bet they were surprised to meet some very large machinery finishing off the surface of the road.

+1

The Right Honourable Lol Skelly MHK assured the Manx public that the Peel Road would be finished for 21 March 2014. So no wonder the same public are confused.

I must confess I did have doubts about the 'wheel buckler' though when I first encountered it, more so during hours of darkness. Maybe even fatal if a two wheeler hits it.

Furthermore the road off Gansey Prom toward Port Erin (Castletown/Beach Roads) had something similar fitted to that junction recently during the resurfacing; only for it to be subsequently removed post haste.

Furthermore the road off Gansey Prom toward Port Erin (Castletown/Beach Roads) had something similar fitted to that junction recently during the resurfacing; only for it to be subsequently removed post haste.

My guess is that is only temporary whilst the four roads roundabout is closed. To accommodate the PE to PSM buses that need to now turn right there.

If we have to have cycle lanes (and now that we have lets make them pay to use them) why on earth didn't the road planners use some of the overly wide pavement rather than restrict the road lanes?

I do pay to use them, I pay tax. Used the lane tonight, it's better than nothing (going into douglas), but it's a bit odd going in the other direction, seems to get squeezed by the bus stops etc. Don't like the way they've stopped it on circular road, would have been better to draw a line gradually into the pavement rather than just box it off.

Agree about the pavement though, lots of scope to trim that down on peel road, no idea why it's so big.

Slim

Aren't most car drivers also already taxpayers as well? So why should car drivers also have to pay to maintain roads and improve facilities for motorists - if that is really what the money is used for?

Let cyclists pay for the creation of cycle lanes by charging them also to use the roads. Let's also make sure they have compulsory road insurance to protect other motorists against their actions.

While stupid cambers etc are being talked about dare I ask why the new roundabout at the sea terminal is set at a 45 degree angle?

That one at the Sea Terminal is an absolute joke. That said the one at Governors Bridge and the one at the Braddan Business Park take some beating too. I just assumed someone has a wonky spirit level.

it might be a wide pavement the hills meadow side of the road as it might cause structural issues to the steep bank that side if the traffic is moved closer to the edge??

Slim

Aren't most car drivers also already taxpayers as well? So why should car drivers also have to pay to maintain roads and improve facilities for motorists - if that is really what the money is used for?

Let cyclists pay for the creation of cycle lanes by charging them also to use the roads. Let's also make sure they have compulsory road insurance to protect other motorists against their actions.

Cycle lanes benefit car drivers, why not use the collective tax pool for them?

Archived