Cycle lane & road Islands

oldmanxfella

If more people went into town via Kewaigue and the Nunnery Road (the preferred route) there would be much less congestion at the Quarterbridge. I don't understand why they are not encouraged to do that.

What the DOI has failed to do over the years is accept that on an Island people drive as the crow flies. Why go round the houses because they bloody well want you to by being such dicks and shutting roads for ages - when you can get in your car and drive from A to B directly? Its not rocket science.

They can make it as difficult as they like to use a route by pissing you about but psycologically the Island mentality is to drive from A to B along the most direct route possible.

I suppose that's why people don't go down the King Edward Road to avoid Onchan as well.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driving out of Douglas tonight it now seems, according to the road markings, that where traffic leaving Douglas had two lanes to queue (one to turn left over Pulrose Bridge, one to go straight on to QB), there is now only one lane?

Isn't this madness? It means there will be longer queue before PB full of people wanting to go left or straight on.

And yet if you are coming in to Douglas there will be a second lane to turn right at PB where there is surely less demand for right turners?

Please somebody tell me I'm wrong and that we haven't waited more than a year for this?

Oh and it will be interesting seeing those turning left at PB taking out the cyclists coming up behind them when the cycle lane seems to vanish....pure genius.

If we have to have cycle lanes (and now that we have lets make them pay to use them) why on earth didn't the road planners use some of the overly wide pavement rather than restrict the road lanes?

Who is the MHK responsible for this now?

Skelly is now. Why do we have such wide pavements when they are hardly used? It's like the new road outside edremony in port Erin there is 2 bloody pavements, one of which is as wide as a bus. And why they didn't use the opportunity to use the grass verge to create parking spaces therefore taking parked vehicles off the main road. But that takes thought!

Driving out of Douglas tonight it now seems, according to the road markings, that where traffic leaving Douglas had two lanes to queue (one to turn left over Pulrose Bridge, one to go straight on to QB), there is now only one lane?

I think its two lanes. One (left) is filtered by a big concrete turd dumped half into the left hand lane and half in the middle of the road. And the other straight on lane weaves around the big concrete turd sending you into the middle of the road, and then back to the curb by IOM Newspapers.

Agree about the bike lane that disappears by the QB. Good luck with that pedal pushers. They've also painted a bus lane over the cycle lane on Belmont Terrace. Its got so many different coloured lines painted on that section it looks like a basket ball court.

Dear god, do you hear yourselves? They have changed the road markings on Peel Road and it now contains a cycleway and a few islands, they haven't just buggered your misses/ hubby, it is not a big deal, stop bloody moaning about everything that happens, there are much more important things going wrong in the world than this....................

Dear god, do you hear yourselves? They have changed the road markings on Peel Road and it now contains a cycleway and a few islands, they haven't just buggered your misses/ hubby, it is not a big deal, stop bloody moaning about everything that happens, there are much more important things going wrong in the world than this....................

For me its merely a metaphore for the gross state paid incompetence that surrounds us on all levels. If they can't get a road right then fuck knows what other stupid shit is going down. It is symptomatic of everything that totally stinks about this Island.

some of the temporary signage is very badly placed, the other day I was coming down Spring Valley, moved into the right hand lane to turn into Groves Road, and on the far pavement was a sign about problems ahead at Pulrose Bridge, which was way too late, I was committed to turning right and I ended up turning in Saddle Mews entrance and going to town via Kewaigue !

/eejits

If more people went into town via Kewaigue and the Nunnery Road (the preferred route) there would be much less congestion at the Quarterbridge. I don't understand why they are not encouraged to do that.

pity that it is three times the distance for me via Kewaigue to where I wanted to go, although I can sometimes get home from Tesco in the time to takes to play the Eagles 'Hotel California' on the cd :lol:

For me its merely a metaphore for the gross state paid incompetence that surrounds us on all levels. If they can't get a road right then fuck knows what other stupid shit is going down. It is symptomatic of everything that totally stinks about this Island.

And you know this road layout is wrong because you are an expert on these things? Qualified to judge these things ? Or are you just having a good old moan? w00t.gif

As I said before, why not wait until it's completed before going on an all out attack. You wouldn't pass a negative judgement on a so lodge of paint which then turned out to be the Mona Lisa......oh hang on, some of you would, and then when you realised it was the Mona Lisa you'd still whine and moan and point fault even if the only thing you knew about paint was that it comes in different colours.

As I said before, why not wait until it's completed before going on an all out attack. You wouldn't pass a negative judgement on a so lodge of paint which then turned out to be the Mona Lisa......oh hang on, some of you would, and then when you realised it was the Mona Lisa you'd still whine and moan and point fault even if the only thing you knew about paint was that it comes in different colours.

Sorry dude, but I just drove down it tonight, and it is indeed and over populated, over complicated clusterfuck....plain and simple.

I have some humble pie in the fridge, a bit out of date now as it doesn't get used much.

Sorry dude, but I just drove down it tonight, and it is indeed and over populated, over complicated clusterfuck....plain and simple.

I have some humble pie in the fridge, a bit out of date now as it doesn't get used much.

Wait till the Germans land tt fortnight gonna be fun lol

Archived