Famous Rock Concerts?

TheDruid-3X3

I don't share Hugh Jampton's enthusiasm for the new Villa, even though I've seen some great concerts there - Robert Plant was probably the best. I've found that it's a lot to do with the soundman. Where the bigger acts have brought their own technicians, it's been great; but when the Villa have hired their own soundman it has often been poor and sometimes abysmal.

Also, to me the Villa has zero atmosphere, and the fire regulations mean that it has a capacity of only around 1500. My abiding memory will always be watching the much missed Lou Reed (both nights) playing to a half empty Villa, and seeing him look around the hall wondering what he was doing there. I almost felt embarrassed for him.

When they rebuilt and refurbished the new Villa they recreated the original dance palace instead of designing a modern concert hall, and it's been one of the many white elephants that have proved very expensive to keep and feed ever since.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed on the sound. it's always fairly damn shit... the charlatans should've been ace but it was carp, just very loud. We were so impressed by adam ant we followed him later on the tour and sound was waaaay better in other venues.

i think it needs a false ceiling to stop all of the good bits going up into the bell tower and then dropping back down a few minutes later

Worst sound mix I ever heard was Morrisey at the Villa. The volume went up & up to a point where it became one great distorted mush. My dog could have been a better sound engineer. Ruined it for me.

• 5 years later...
On 5/23/2014 at 6:56 AM, Butters said:

Dr Feelgood at the Lido 76/77 is etched in my memory. Never have I witnessed a band with such energy and menace. They looked more like four blokes who had just pulled off a messy bank job than a band. All scruffy suits and bad hair cuts.

But the sound! Fast, hard driving blues that had the place bouncing. Sadly Lee Brilleaux (singer) died some years ago and Wilco Johnson (guitar) has terminal cancer but is still touring & recording with Roger Daltry. Worth a listen if blues is your bag.

Dr Feelgood @ Palace Lido Douglas.jpg

Dr Feelgood @ Palace Lido.jpg

Palace Lido - Dr Feelgood 2.jpg

Palace Lido-Dr Feelgood 1.jpg

On 5/29/2014 at 4:13 PM, Butters said:

Worst sound mix I ever heard was Morrisey at the Villa. The volume went up & up to a point where it became one great distorted mush. My dog could have been a better sound engineer. Ruined it for me.

Morrisey ruined it for me. Very short concert most of which seemed to be taken up with “meat is murder”

Was one of my faves but given this concert and his latest utterances have turned me totally off

Forgot who said “everyone grows out of their Morrisey phase except Morrisey” but v true

Archived