Famous Rock Concerts?

TheDruid-3X3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to see Van the Man in the Villa Marina Kursaal, as I now know it was originally called

He had a massive digital countdown clock on the stage which started at 45 minutes (& which included the encore if I remember correctly)

Dr Feelgood at the Lido 76/77 is etched in my memory. Never have I witnessed a band with such energy and menace. They looked more like four blokes who had just pulled off a messy bank job than a band. All scruffy suits and bad hair cuts.

But the sound! Fast, hard driving blues that had the place bouncing. Sadly Lee Brilleaux (singer) died some years ago and Wilco Johnson (guitar) has terminal cancer but is still touring & recording with Roger Daltry. Worth a listen if blues is your bag.

Ha! You and me both. shoulder to shoulder! Wilko had me mesmerised and ''The Big Figure'' on the kit with a 12'' deep snare drum you could feel in your chest. Definitely one of the best gigs in living memory....

I'm sure Quilp was playing support for the Feelgoods at the 90's gig at Summerland with G.A.S.P.

Indeed! And what a night it was. Brilleaux was a maniac backstage as well as on; mean and moody with a laugh that might cut glass. He wore a grubby, off-white little dinner jacket which, if memory serves me correctly, once belonged to Marilyn Monroe! His gob-iron playing was second to none and that bass-player! That Wilko wasn't in the band didn't detract from the energy and overall enjoyment. G.A.S.P. were a little, er, 'tame' in comparison even though we played the straight rock'n'roll set. Some weeks shortly thereafter, Nigel Quayle, who also drummed with G.A.S.P., and was in the audience, died from asphxyiation after imbibing too much drink and heroin. But then again, Nige always did like to push the boat out, chemically.online2long.gif

Fun Lovin Criminals.....Villa Gardens....ages ago!

Now that I would have liked to see.

They also played indoors in the old Villa. Think it was the year before the outdoor gig.

Fun Lovin' Criminals in the Villa Gardens was one of the best local gigs. Billy Bragg was great. Morrissey better than expected. Frank Sidebottom was always fun.

The only decent band I can remember coming in the eighties was Anfhren - a Welsh Language punk band, that came over for Yn Crunnyack.

Mostly, though, it was po-faced, and pompous British Blues Rock acts. It was like attending a lecture.

I got stung by the Rory Gallagher ticket scam in 1990, saw him many times in the big Smoke.

Saw Sceaming Lord Sutch twice here, The Hoax and Supercharge in Bushy's, Jools Holland twice, Nin below Zero and Wishbone Ash. I don't think these bands have been mentioned.

The Villa is one of the best venues to see bands, nice and small and you can stand up and get within a a couple of feet of say, Robert Plant. The prices are good without scalpers adding a booking fee.

Saw Morissey there too

Remember going to a concert in 1960s with Robert Plant before he was famous and later in a café he asked someone if he could play their guitar. They replied in the negative, (F off you hippy prat), actually.

I've always wondered if that person remembers it or even realised later who they had dismissed.

Archived