Israel vs. the rest of the world?

spook

Spook: algebra, algorithm, alkaline, azimuth, amalgam, benzene etc etc all words when Muslims were leading the world in science mathematics, astronomy, architectue etc etc. At the same time Christians were behaving just like IS is now. Care to try to explain that?

Spook: algebra, algorithm, alkaline, azimuth, amalgam, benzene etc etc all words when Muslims were leading the world in science mathematics, astronomy, architectue etc etc. At the same time Christians were behaving just like IS is now. Care to try to explain that?

Maybe you should explain why your post isn't entirely accurate...?

I suppose you could improve the accuracy by reading the book reviewed here

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/oct/23/arabic-science-jim-alkhalili-review

Jim Al'Kalili is a research scientist and head of the British Humanists - his account is nuanced but the reality is Muslim science dominated the world for 600 years and contributed greatly to the world. Why that open, enquiring culture was over taken by intolerant zealotry is a really important question of great relevance to today.

You forgot to list warfare and weaponry.

Arab armies conquered a land empire stretching from Spain in the west to India in the east and brought the science, mathematics engineering, art and culture of all the peoples they conquered under their thumb through forced conversions and religious domination. Within a couple of generations, it was to be expected that they would excel in all these fields, just as the Americans excelled in rocket engineering when they recruited German scientists or when western Europe took in Byzantine refugees after the Fall of Constantinople in 1453 (having been violently conquered by the Muslims you're so fond of) which then fueled the Renaissance in Europe.

As for your comment about Christians, it's a generalisation and a wrong one.

• Like 1

Actually all the things in that list with the possible exception of some trivial aspects of algebra have NOTHING WHAT SO EVER to do with Islam other than the people who developed them happened to be Muslims. Their beliefs simply were not a factor.

Why can't people just realise that we are all just humans? There good humans and there are bad humans, I don't need a religious badge to tell me that.

Because people like ISIS and Hamas don't care if you're human. They care if you're Muslim.

That's kind of my point though. Would we have these problems if there was no religion. Sadly, I guess it would only be replaced by some other bullshit.

Edited by mojomonkey

That's kind of my point though. Would we have these problems if there was no religion. Sadly, I guess it would only be replaced by some other bullshit.

I think the problem is not religion but false or defective religion. You can make generalisations about all religion being bad or backward but as someone who has studied all the religions I think that is just wrong.

But who can say which religion is false or defective? Surely to those practising said religion it is entirely valid and justified? Clearly some of these extreme Muslims are twats, but I'd say the same of extreme Christians. I go back to my original statement and ask why can't people see each other as humans? I no desire to kill my neighbour or tell them they are believing in a false and wrong god. Religion is just make believe bollocks.

• Like 1