Laminate floors

Bray Hill

Laminate wood floor looks bloody naff. It's dishonest, isn't it? It's pretending to be something its not, something better, and real. People in a decade or so will be tearing it up like stone cladding and stucco wallpaper. Put some good honest carpet down! Or some lino if you're concerned about keeping it clean, as long as it's not trying to pass itself off as flagstone floor or cobbles or something...

Would anyone out there happen to know of someone who can lay wood laminate flooring.

Thanks in advance

Don't listen to the naysayers. Nothing wrong with laminate flooring - it's reasonably priced, hard-wearing, warmer than lino and better looking, and far more cleanable than carpet. Buy the right composite material and it's also water resistant.

It's pretty easy to lay yourself, especially the glueless clip together stuff that seems to be prevalent these days. If for whatever reason you're not able to do it yourself, I reckon that anyone that advertises themselves as a general handyman would be more than competent at doing it.

• Like 2

Would anyone out there happen to know of someone who can lay wood laminate flooring.

Thanks in advance

Don't listen to the naysayers. Nothing wrong with laminate flooring - it's reasonably priced, hard-wearing, warmer than lino and better looking, and far more cleanable than carpet. Buy the right composite material and it's also water resistant.

It's pretty easy to lay yourself, especially the glueless clip together stuff that seems to be prevalent these days. If for whatever reason you're not able to do it yourself, I reckon that anyone that advertises themselves as a general handyman would be more than competent at doing it.

>and far more cleanable than carpet.

+1.

Also terrier proof.

Though a lower co-efficient of friction has left Mrs TBT's freezer badly dented when it's time for dinner and neither the dog nor bitch can stop in time.

Can be noisy too.

TBT.

Thanks in advance

>and far more cleanable than carpet.

+1.

Also terrier proof.

Though a lower co-efficient of friction has left Mrs TBT's freezer badly dented when it's time for dinner and neither the dog nor bitch can stop in time.

Can be noisy too.

TBT.

I think she will be denting something of yours if she finds out that you are calling her a bitch on here ! ( a noisy one too ) smile.png

There is nowt funnier than a dog on laminate floor.

A laminate with some textured surface is vital in a kitchen, bathroom, or entrance way. it's a good base for carpet tiles if you buy the cheap slippy stuff. Put the cheap stuff down in the mud room and workshop with carpet tiles on top, warm, non slip and when one gets to bad to clean just swap it with another tile. stuck down with spray glue and it's been 8 years and counting with one tile swap and a washing machine flood.

It has it's other uses and if you've got enough to do a 3x3 metre room I know of a worthy cause who will take if off your hands and put it to good use!

I've been recommended engineered wood flooring rather than laminate, it's sort of the same principle but it's "real" wood (sort of)

I think it's about £20 per sq m. so possibly a little pricier than laminate.

• 8 years later...
On 11/24/2022 at 2:23 AM, vulygilo said:

Hello. We are thinking of laying laminate flooring in the hall, lounge and dining room, which are currently carpet. Anyone that already has hard floors, how do cats take to it? We already have tiles in the kitchen and laminate in the conservatory, and they are fine with this. We will have a couple of large rugs aswell. I was wondering how the cats will get on playing/running about on it? Indie especially has at least one mad session of racing round the house a day, and I don't want her to hurt herself slipping and crashing into something.

Cats like laminate just fine.  If they don't they'll move out and live elsewhere.  Don't worry about cats.

My cat is fine with it, unlike carpets and wall paper, he is not fine with them, in fact he hates them so much he rips up the carpets and trashes the wall paper. Actually, I'm glad I replied to this thread because it has just reminded me that no matter how much I like the William Morris wall papers, if the boy takes a pick against it, it would be a cat-ass-trophy 😁