Sulby Bridge Spectator Scaffolding

mrmadmanx

Took the kids to watch the races on Saturday, ffs £10 a person so just sat on the bank nearby, which was better anyway.

My question is, who benefits from the takings at this Grandstand? There are flags promoting Red Scaffolding so is it them?

Ironically we went there with only one hour left of the race and the doorman still wanted £10!

For general admission to the British Moto GP race is £75, that’s for you to sit on a bank a very long way from the course. You then need to fork out a further £85-£250 to sit on a stand. Although I have not used the various stands around the course ,£10 is not a vast amount. They appear to be popular with the visitors. As you stated it is simple, if you don’t wish to pay then don’t use them.

I'd rather be sitting on a bank than herded like sheep on scaffolding anyway

You're more likely to see a sheep on a grass bank than up scaffolding.

I was referring to the way sheep are herded into a pen, humans herded into a scaffold grandstand looks very similar, although i'm sure you already knew what I meant.

I'd rather be sitting on a bank than herded like sheep on scaffolding anyway

You're more likely to see a sheep on a grass bank than up scaffolding.

I was referring to the way sheep are herded into a pen, humans herded into a scaffold grandstand looks very similar, although i'm sure you already knew what I meant.

£10 to get your sense of humour back.

For general admission to the British Moto GP race is £75, thats for you to sit on a bank a very long way from the course. You then need to fork out a further £85-£250 to sit on a stand. Although I have not used the various stands around the course ,£10 is not a vast amount. They appear to be popular with the visitors. As you stated it is simple, if you dont wish to pay then dont use them.

This isn't the British GP and I hate it when people make that comparison. A big part of the TT's and MGP's attraction is the fact that you don't have to pay loads to sit on some shitty scaffold, but that you can watch for free from the side of the road. That's a big part of its appeal and should not be screwed up in pursuit of a few quid from "Fanzone" bullshit seating.

I wonder if these commercial vantage points confer any more responsibility on the person taking the money if, for instance, one of the bikes leaves the road and separates a spectator's head from his body. Or is it still "Road racing is dangerous, your own risk etc."

For general admission to the British Moto GP race is £75, thats for you to sit on a bank a very long way from the course. You then need to fork out a further £85-£250 to sit on a stand. Although I have not used the various stands around the course ,£10 is not a vast amount. They appear to be popular with the visitors. As you stated it is simple, if you dont wish to pay then dont use them.

This isn't the British GP and I hate it when people make that comparison. A big part of the TT's and MGP's attraction is the fact that you don't have to pay loads to sit on some shitty scaffold, but that you can watch for free from the side of the road. That's a big part of its appeal and should not be screwed up in pursuit of a few quid from "Fanzone" bullshit seating.

You still do not have to pay anything to sit on a hedge to watch!!!

But if you are dissabled, old, or just not comfortable sitting in a hedgerow you now have another option!

Or is it still "Road racing is dangerous, your own risk etc."

Apparently that disclaimer counts for nothing. If you're charging entry for something, as I understand it, you'd need a public liability insurance in place.

Edit to add - the disclaimer about road racing being dangerous counts for nothing regardless of whether an entry fee has been charged. If you're not in a prohibited area, the organisers have a duty of care towards you. As far as I know, I wouldn't bet on it.

Archived