The Rise and Rise of U.K.I.P.

P.K.

They have their first MP from the Clacton by-election. Douglas Carswell has been MP for the area for about 10 years so the 'swing' to UKIP of some 60% is probably not representative of the UK at large. He's very much a UKIP man though.

The other by-election, Heywood and Middleton, was probably more representative. The Labour vote remained about the same at 41% but the tory vote dropped by 15% and the Lib Dems by 18% no doubt helping to boost the UKIP vote by 36% to make it a very close call. Just 600 votes in it..

I haven't the slightest doubt that the UKIP vote was enhanced by disaffected Labour voters but the Labour vote was then held up by disaffected LibDem voters.

If you are a tory MP in a dodgy constituency nipping across to UKIP could be your best option of keeping those expenses rolling in....

Interesting times.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm.

Maybe instead of posting "Word on the street is" I should have posted "Word on our street is..."

Of course, a lot depends on the tactics the main parties use to counter the UKIP momentum. The first tory reaction seems to be "Vote UKIP - get Milliband" which is a good scare tactic relying on the "Kinnochio effect" as it is known (by me). Probably because it's difficult to use policies as a weapon when the opposition really don't have any...

By-elections and general-elections are very different beasts.

Not much gets past you...

Care to explain?

I'm sure you already know...that it's a protest vote and the seat will go back at the general.

It wasn't for me but rather for all the schoolkids on Mannin who now have a vote.

If I send Stu a tenner would you trust him to hold your tenner until next May? No Manx notes though, thanks.

Errr excuse me but I'm hoping to fleece Albert of a tenner....

I'll take the bet...

Good man! A bit of fun never goes amiss.

Just one little snag, known as a snagette, Stu is as yet unaware of his role as stakeholder. But I'm sure he won't mind.

Archived