Port Erin golf course to become massive housing estate

alibaba

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sad day indeed.

The problem is that there are too many golf courses in the Isle of Man for the population and the number of golfers.

This is not an unique problem for the Isle of Man, the same is happening in the U.K with golf beginning to loose its popularity and many courses going into receivership or bankruptcy.

I would have thought that it would be a brave organisation which takes on the golf at Rowany, but on the plus side I am sure they would not get planning permission for property development. I certainly hope so.

It doesn't help privately run clubs when one club is massively subsidised by Douglas rate payers.

I doubt if the price of golf in Douglas has much bearing on the problems at Rowany - not too many Port Erin golfers will drive to Douglas to play.

I believe, by the way, that Ramsey may be having similar problems.

The course should be purchased for the people and maintained as a nature reserve or recreational space. Create and maintain some pathways on which people can walk under certain conditions (pick up dog shit and don't litter etc.) and let nature do the rest. No need for expensive sapling planting – most of which usually die anyway as they are often not appropriate for soil conditions and climate – and maintenance.

I agree with Mark Twain (?) that golf is a good walk spoiled, but I have to say a housing estate is a good walk spoiled too. For once in their lives, will these people get creative and develop something pleasant and in keeping with the island's culture instead of the same old dime a dozen houses that look like they've been cut and pasted off a clip art website, the ones which currently blite our countryside? And how about more affordable first time buyer houses to house people who already live on the island instead of building ridiculously expensive ones for yet more tax dodging high net "worth" individuals to push up the property prices? Thanks.

The course should be purchased for the people and maintained as a nature reserve or recreational space. Create and maintain some pathways on which people can walk under certain conditions (pick up dog shit and don't litter etc.) and let nature do the rest. No need for expensive sapling planting – most of which usually die anyway as they are often not appropriate for soil conditions and climate – and maintenance.

Purchased with what? Magic beans? You have noticed that there is no money anymore haven't you?

Without a doubt, if the golf club fail, then the site is "prime" for residential development, especially when taking into consideration the other prime land within the Village where there are unwilling vendors. The Commissioners should obtain control of the land, that way its future use is in public ownership, and it would be a great investment for the medium to long term future of Port Erin and the needs that may well arise in the future.

The course should be purchased for the people and maintained as a nature reserve or recreational space.

Purchased with what? Magic beans? You have noticed that there is no money anymore haven't you?

Good point. We should nationalise it in the name of national security. We could bring in revenue to the island by setting it up as the Guantanamo of the British Isles. We did it before during the world wars so I see no reason why we can't do it now during the war on terrorism, which is after all a considerably more lucrative war given that it's theoretically without end.

OOOHHH! Bitchy but possibly true? Is he a Committee member?

Can't deny the popularity of the Moto Cross idea but it wouldn't go down well in PE., I think they still throw stones at motorised carriges!

The valley to Ballafesson would be good for high end houses, while towards the upper prom for more reasonably prices and much needed houses.

Not sure what the residents of exclusive Hunna and the top road would think tho!

Archived