Ronaldsway Airport Beirut.

Max Power

Please note that the Airport Police, and the Harbours Police are separate from the Isle of Man Constuabulary, and don't feature in our establishment numbers

Are the Airport and Harbours "police" fully sworn in police officers or are they 'security officers ' who have a uniform and perhaps , at worst, little else?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that the police fella with the fluorescent police beanie must be embarrassed about being used as a revenue earning tool by the airport, a highly trained professional copper being used to extract coppers from people collecting their friends and relatives. How shameful. But then the whole idea is shameful and an embarrassment to the island.

There is no safety requirement to warrant a full time police presence. It worked satisfactorily for years, until the politicians interfered. I wonder what the "unofficial" view of the boys in blue is?

"coz when i see you, i see you walking down the street. is your head hel up high, or are you starring at your feet"

hi Karellen. love your quote and theses are some lyrics i love also which is why i noticed. sorry coulldn't resist x

It may be my fault for mentioning it, but all around the corner at the airport where you could get free parking has now been double yellow lined.

Staff car park is still barrier free though

It may be my fault for mentioning it, but all around the corner at the airport where you could get free parking has now been double yellow lined.

You can sit on yellow lines unless challenged. Can't be everywhere can they?

They will do anything to get this quid off you !

They will do anything to get this quid off you !

All the more reason for doing anything to deny them getting it.

I agree this is pathetic and ill thought out, but I must say that in my experience, the security guys are far from 'little Hitlers'. On the thee occasions that I've picked people up since this came in to force, I pulled up, the security guys came up, asked what flight I was waiting for, gave me an update on the arrival (two were late but still showing up as 'on time' on the web site). For two, I then circulated at about 10mph until they appeared after about three laps and the other I went over to the industrial park and sat for twenty minutes. Returned, parked, waited for the update from the polite security bloke, circulated a couple of times and met my passenger.

It isn't their fault that this was introduced and from what I've seen, they are carrying their job out in as polite & helpful manner as possible.

I agree this is pathetic and ill thought out, but I must say that in my experience, the security guys are far from 'little Hitlers'. On the thee occasions that I've picked people up since this came in to force, I pulled up, the security guys came up, asked what flight I was waiting for, gave me an update on the arrival (two were late but still showing up as 'on time' on the web site). For two, I then circulated at about 10mph until they appeared after about three laps and the other I went over to the industrial park and sat for twenty minutes. Returned, parked, waited for the update from the polite security bloke, circulated a couple of times and met my passenger.

It isn't their fault that this was introduced and from what I've seen, they are carrying their job out in as polite & helpful manner as possible.

fucking quisling.

rock up when the gatwick and manchester flights are coming in, whack up the volume with something like injected with a poison, stop outside and wait until they ask and say you're waiting for the flight from Tashkent. Repeat until arrested!

Back in the day airport and harbour police did security duties in summer months and became ropemen and baggage handlers collectively, this was a sensible use of resources so obviously in best IoM tradition had to change so they became full time quasi cops with non of the training in either job.

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear that Tesco have followed the lead of the airport , the "Collection Point" where one could park to load up ones shopping is now a "Drop of only point sir".

Called in there this morning dropped SWMBO off at entrance to buy a few items , then went to recycling area with boot-full of bottles /tins etc and then parked in the collection point area , only to be instructed to move my vehicle from the empty "collection point" to the car park .

It would be interesting to learn if this is official Tesco policy and if so it may be helpful to alter the signage as I foolishly thought that "collection" meant collection and not "drop off only".

On the other hand it could be that Tescos had a disgruntled employee who had decided to piss off customers or had a desire to be an airport "policeman" jobsworth and was having a practice run before bunging in an application.

However given that as I left the carpark there were cars parked in the "collection point" (empty and without drivers) one can safely assume that the "rules" are applied at the whim of a Tesco employee who has nothing better to do.

Just sayingwhistling.gif

Archived