Free parking scrapped for disabled

The Sick Moon

Well it would be interesting to know how many disabled permits are in force and to what extent those disabilities are.

I think the perception is that everyone is in a wheelchair or close to it and that may well not be the case.

Are permits registered to a specific car too? Perhaps you get people using permits that are not actually disabled.

o obtain a Blue Card is not easy, nor is it limited to being wheelchair or mobility scooter bound. People with conditions that are not immediately obvious but significantly affect their ability to walk include cardiac conditions and a whole lot more that limit how far they can walk are eligible, so just because someone apparently able leaves his or her car that is showing a Blue Card does not mean that they are not disabled.

Blue Cards are issued to individuals, not vehicles.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My granny had a disabled badge. She had bad hips and couldn't walk far. Could walk though, and probably didn't consider herself disabled, but the closer parking meant she could get to the shops ok. She couldn't drive either, so the badge went in other people's cars when they gave her a lift to the shops. There was a proper family fight over who got that badge when she died. For sentimental reasons, of course.

Maybe the parking cards should be randomly checked when using a disabled parking space? There is a photograph on the reverse of the card which clearly indicates who the disabled person is.

I agree that some would be able to pay and the blue sections must be kept nearer to easy access. But as annoymouse has mentioned (15 posts in and wearing his disrespectful hat), getting to and from a parking spot to a machine and back again and back yet again to leave the car park must be almost impossibly difficult for some people.

Chester Street used to be ticket on entry and pay on exit. So much simpler for everyone - disabled, mums coping with small children, baby and pram and those just having difficulty moving around, even if temporarily disabled through injury.

It's the age of the credit/debit card for goodness sake. Faffing around looking for change is a total pain too.

I have mixed feelings about whether our disabled friends should pay or not. However, I am extremely frustrated by the "Blue Card" abuse I see on a daily basis. How can we better control this abuse should be the prime issue.

It is my understanding that many government employees enjoy 'free' parking in Chester street car park, will they now be required to pay Douglas corporation?

That might well depend if free parking is part of their remuneration package.

It is my understanding that many government employees enjoy 'free' parking in Chester street car park, will they now be required to pay Douglas corporation?

That might well depend if free parking is part of their remuneration package.

So will the government us pay the corpy?

If it is a part of their remuneration package then presumably yes, one way or another.

Is this evidence based or just part of the regular downward spiral of MF threads which demonize the public service?

This just takes the biscuit, as Spook has said, disabled people are generally unable to earn a great deal and tend to rely on benefits to exist. Yes there are wealthy disabled but far fewer than the ordinary person who needs all the cash and help they can get just to exist and enjoy life. Douglas Council are just a bunch of meanhearted dinosaurs.

Meanwhile our public sector gravy train rolls on downhill and out of control, we await the sickening crash

Archived