Free parking scrapped for disabled

The Sick Moon

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half hour free, keep the 'disabled bays' as they are nearer the machines and exit, otherwise pay as everyone else.

Put a time limit on, at the moment they can park all day for nothing, hardly seems fair.

I wonder if Malarkey voted for this before he got his comfy chair back?

Looks like the Corpy have taken over the running of the car parks and increased the fees to match what they were charging in their other car parks - oh and added on a bit extra too.

Shaws Brow £5.60 per day now.

Chester Street £5.80 per day w.e.f. 1 June

The bonus is that weekends and bank holidays will be free from 1 June.

Perhaps there will also be a plan to charge MHKs and MLCs for their parking in Douglas too?

Not forgetting to ensure that WAGS aren't taking advantage on their shopping trips too.

MHK's and MLC's are some of the most severely disabled people in our society. Free parking to go with their free pension seems perfectly reasonable to me w00t.gif

While there is an undeniable reason to have parking bays for the disabled I really can not see how bays should be dedicated for exclusive use by parents and kids.

Well they're wider you see. For getting kids in and out of special seats.

Sylvia has just been on the Mannin Line, and has made a sound suggestion - give Blue Badge holders longer for their money, because their movement is likely to be slower. - very sensible.

If the impending equality act includes the requirement to make "reasonable adjustments" for disabled people (as the UK act does) they may well find they are required by law to include such an adjustment either in the time allowances or their enforcement procedures.

Sylvia has just been on the Mannin Line, and has made a sound suggestion - give Blue Badge holders longer for their money, because their movement is likely to be slower. - very sensible.

That would probably mean having to get new ticket machines which would probably cost more than the additional revenue raised.

Nailed on they'll do it then.

A council spokesman said charges will increase for all users - the cost of a space for up to one hour will rise by 30p, from £1.50 to £1.80.

The cost of a two-hour space will go up 40p, from £2.00 to £2.40.

I wonder how they identify the difference between the 1hr and 2hr spaces :lol:

/don't you just love the media !

Yeah the whole parent and child spaces do my head in, it's a privilege not a given right!

Aren't they more to do with giving the parents more space to get prams and kids in/out of the car without smashing into the car next to them.

No need to have them next to the store though. Leave those spaces for the lazy.

Archived