Free parking scrapped for disabled

The Sick Moon

Sylvia has just been on the Mannin Line, and has made a sound suggestion - give Blue Badge holders longer for their money, because their movement is likely to be slower. - very sensible.

That would probably mean having to get new ticket machines which would probably cost more than the additional revenue raised.

Nailed on they'll do it then.

Simply done by giving a grace period after the ticket runs out. No need for new machines.

But it probably wont happen and the new machines are probably on order now.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the whole parent and child spaces do my head in, it's a privilege not a given right!

Aren't they more to do with giving the parents more space to get prams and kids in/out of the car without smashing into the car next to them.

No need to have them next to the store though. Leave those spaces for the lazy.

it would be more helpful if spaces were sized to cater for the modern size of cars and doors rather than what appears to be the Austin 7 size many currently are

Yeah the whole parent and child spaces do my head in, it's a privilege not a given right!

Aren't they more to do with giving the parents more space to get prams and kids in/out of the car without smashing into the car next to them.

No need to have them next to the store though. Leave those spaces for the lazy.

it would be more helpful if spaces were sized to cater for the modern size of cars and doors rather than what appears to be the Austin 7 size many currently are

Perhaps you would like all the roads to be widened too to cater for the huge, ugly monstrosities that people drive around in nowadays? I like to see 'em struggle. Especially the ones who haven't a clue how to drive them.

This one should be good! cool.png

Affects two Douglas car parks.

Disabled people will start paying for their parking spaces in the Island's capital from next week.

That's been confirmed by Douglas Borough Council, which is taking over two car parks from the department of Infrastructure.

It affects Chester Street and Drumgold Street car parks from the beginning of June.

The prices start at £1.80 for an hour and up to £5.80 for more than seven hours at Chester Street car park.

Environmental services committee chairman Councillor Ritchie McNicholl says drivers will only notice a minor change.

He added the charges will bring the car parks in line with the rest of Douglas, such as Shaw's Brow, the Bottleneck and the King George V sites.

I think the real story here is that Douglas Council having a talking Toby jug.

I remember watching incredulously last summer when two old boys in a Range Rover pulled up in the disabled parking bay outside Admiral House, put the disabled badge up then took their pushbikes off the rack on the back and cycled off down the prom. Is there any medical involvement in the issuing of a badge or is it self assessment ?

The key problem as I see it is that there is substantially less available free 'curb side' parking in Douglas that people with mobility difficulties can use. Therefore people who have a disability have much less 'choice'. This change in policy is unlikely to raise much additional money but is going to disproportionately affect disabled people who are more likely to unemployed.

Personally, I can afford the parking but the majority of physically disabled people will find this to be yet another charge. Mr Robertshaw has already made cuts to the upper rate of mobility allowance, which is now lower than the UK*. Unemployed disabled people on the Isle of Man who want to use the Motability scheme, now have to find money from their other benefits.

Perhaps if we had legislation to stop discrimination on the Isle of Man, a few more disabled people could get a job?

*Actually, technically he didn't "cut" it, he simply didn't increase it when the UK increased the rate.

Over here a Blue Badge allows a person to park on yellow lines for up to 3 hours unless

there is a No Loading mark on the kerb.

I would have thought the same rule applies on the Island?

Spook: The regulations regarding parking on double yellow lines varies throughout the UK, there is no standard.

On the IoM the ruling is 'at the discretion of the parking warden' however, there is no right of appeal if booked. I spoke to one warden who said he was under instruction to book anyone on double yellows at all times, regardless. However, I spoke with a female parking warden who was very pleasant and helpful. Of course the problem is, you wouldn't know which one you are going to get.

Spook: The regulations regarding parking on double yellow lines varies throughout the UK, there is no standard.

On the IoM the ruling is 'at the discretion of the parking warden' however, there is no right of appeal if booked. I spoke to one warden who said he was under instruction to book anyone on double yellows at all times, regardless. However, I spoke with a female parking warden who was very pleasant and helpful. Of course the problem is, you wouldn't know which one you are going to get.

The regulations re parking on yellow lines in the UK :- https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q388.htm

The regulations re parking on yellow lines in the UK :- https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q388.htm

Which begins with...

"There are many rules regarding parking with blue badges and this is only to be used as a guide, not a definitive list".

Some people take the time to read the full item and thereby understand what is contained therein.

It's worth doing if for no other reason than to be able to compare and contrast the Island with the UK on yet another matter of 'equality' where the disabled are concerned.

But then, in the UK the disabled are not treated as second class citizens unlike the Island where the equality bill has been left in the long grass.

Archived