Free parking scrapped for disabled

The Sick Moon

it would be more helpful if spaces were sized to cater for the modern size of cars and doors rather than what appears to be the Austin 7 size many currently are

Perhaps you would like all the roads to be widened too to cater for the huge, ugly monstrosities that people drive around in nowadays? I like to see 'em struggle. Especially the ones who haven't a clue how to drive them.

oh dear, beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Suppose some of them think the benighted things are beautiful I grant you.

Apropos of earlier in the thread. On my enjoyable walk in the Manx air just now, I chanced upon an arresting sight. I would not be seen dicking around with a vehicle that necessitated my standing an a beer crate in order to clean the centre of the bonnet! If anyone doesn't believe this I don't blame them. I wouldn't believe it either had I not just seen it with my own eyes. Small man syndrome? Small penis compensation? Who knows?w00t.gif

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would be more helpful if spaces were sized to cater for the modern size of cars and doors rather than what appears to be the Austin 7 size many currently are

Perhaps you would like all the roads to be widened too to cater for the huge, ugly monstrosities that people drive around in nowadays? I like to see 'em struggle. Especially the ones who haven't a clue how to drive them.

oh dear, beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Suppose some of them think the benighted things are beautiful I grant you.

Apropos of earlier in the thread. On my enjoyable walk in the Manx air just now, I chanced upon an arresting sight. I would not be seen dicking around with a vehicle that necessitated my standing an a beer crate in order to clean the centre of the bonnet! If anyone doesn't believe this I don't blame them. I wouldn't believe it either had I not just seen it with my own eyes. Small man syndrome? Small penis compensation? Who knows?w00t.gif

Are you a dwarf hater?

Back on topic, one thing did strike me is the amount of what can only be described as envy from some because people who are disabled have a tiny advantage over them by being allowed to have some parking concessions. Parking concessions that are in some cases now being withdrawn.

What about realising that people who need these 'benefits NEED them? That every single one of these people would swap a parking concession in an instant NOT to need them?

And why is there not a grass roots demand that equality legislation that has received Royal ascent is not put in place immediately, even if at first only the section relating to disability access?

It's a bloody disgrace.

Back on topic, one thing did strike me is the amount of what can only be described as envy from some because people who are disabled have a tiny advantage over them by being allowed to have some parking concessions. Parking concessions that are in some cases now being withdrawn.

What about realising that people who need these 'benefits NEED them? That every single one of these people would swap a parking concession in an instant NOT to need them?

And why is there not a grass roots demand that equality legislation that has received Royal ascent is not put in place immediately, even if at first only the section relating to disability access?

It's a bloody disgrace.

I agree access to buildings is deplorable. I can't understand why people are not protesting about it.

Wouldn't it be good to have one of these?

http://www.ihrec.ie/

http://www.equalityni.org/Home

Richie McNicol chairman of the committee who is in charge of the car parks said on Manx Radio that it wasn't his or his committee's fault, but the Town Council was to blame, if so what is the point of having a committee to discuss these things then let the Council decide, surely they must have recomended it to the Council.

The Douglas Corporation is only adding to the pain of extra taxes the same as the Government, as for people's pride etc, when the decision to spend the money on either a parking space or a meal, pride goes out the window, by the time these pirates have squeezed all the money they can from the poor, the food banks will be busy.

Richie McNicol chairman of the committee who is in charge of the car parks said on Manx Radio that it wasn't his or his committee's fault, but the Town Council was to blame, if so what is the point of having a committee to discuss these things then let the Council decide, surely they must have recomended it to the Council.

The Douglas Corporation is only adding to the pain of extra taxes the same as the Government, as for people's pride etc, when the decision to spend the money on either a parking space or a meal, pride goes out the window, by the time these pirates have squeezed all the money they can from the poor, the food banks will be busy.

Food banks are only necessary because their 'clients' waste the tax payers money that they receive.

Food banks are only necessary because their 'clients' waste the tax payers money that they receive.

Once again, you're to be found tarring everyone with the same brush. Quite despicable, so you are. What does the church say about charity?

Typical religionist double-standards.

He's watching and listening, apparently....

I wonder how many people who go to food banks also have satellite television. What was it somebody was saying about people having pride?

ETA: Yes I know! Not all of them.

Someone in my family has finally been forced to give in and resort to a wheelchair. This person survives on a state pension (luckily a full one) and for anyone in authority to deprive them of free parking makes my blood absolutely boil. These people need a lesson in living with deep pain and disability.

Frankly, I'd happily fit the councillors (or whoever the buck has just been passed to) with fixed leg and boot callipers with long needles in them and make them wear them for a week and see how they cope getting around their town.

Let's see the councillors on duty in these car parks by the disabled spots and make them watch people coping and then look them in their eyes and tell them to their face that they have to pay to park.

But they wouldn't expose themselves to the results of their casual disregard of others, would they?

I thought we were protecting the vunerable, I wonder just who the vunerable are if they are not people who are not mobile for one reason or another. I feel sorry for the people affected but they do not want pity just assistance to be able to have some equality with the fortunate people who have their health and strengh. I also feel sorry for the people who pay high rents and rates to trade in Strand Street as the way things are going with increased parking charges and the mayhem that is about to commence when the promenade work gets going will drive people away from Douglas to shop online shopping is escalating at a steady pace. The Town Council seem to have little thought about keeping Douglas vibrant and attractive whatever.gif .

Can't say I think any of them are beautiful, but, I can't think of anything else that will pull my 3.5 tonne beast trailer.flowers.gif

You're being a bit harsh on the dwarves,there doc.

LC I really do appreciate your humour, wish I could think of comic replies like you can. It always makes me smile.thumbsup.gif

I don't usually bother reading any further than Ritchie McNicholl said. Also,very much the same thing when I read David Christian,or other from the collective of Council dinosaurs said.

Archived