Is Douglas Corporation listening?

commish

Blue Badge parking  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You missed a potential vote option - means test.

Yes .. People should be made to advertise the fact that they are disabled AND poor just so any council zealot doesn't think they are swinging the lead. In fact why don't we just go back to giving them those spazzy blue 3 wheeler cars like in the 1970s so everyone can see that they are a cripple with no money rather than motability allowing them to have a bit of dignity that might be mis interpreted as wealth by some corpy numbskull with an inferiority complex?

I think you have missed the point somewhat.

Those that can pay, should pay.

I shall give a different response.

Why should they?

Yes .. People should be made to advertise the fact that they are disabled AND poor just so any council zealot doesn't think they are swinging the lead. In fact why don't we just go back to giving them those spazzy blue 3 wheeler cars like in the 1970s so everyone can see that they are a cripple with no money rather than motability allowing them to have a bit of dignity that might be mis interpreted as wealth by some corpy numbskull with an inferiority complex?

Why should they?

Is that a serious question? Why should people who are able to pay for a service, not pay for said service?

Why should they?

Is that a serious question? Why should people who are able to pay for a service, not pay for said service?

Surely it's obvious?

You qualify for a "Disabled Parking Permit" by virtue of the fact that you are "Disabled" not by virtue of your financial status. Otherwise they wouldn't be called "Disabled Parking Permits" but "Free Parking Permits for Poor People" if you are suggesting that those who can afford it should be made to pay.

FFS who would want to be poor or vulnerable in the IOM moving forward with all these well paid civil servants trying to dip into your pockets so they don't have to dip into theirs.

You were right to say that we pay for a service Rmanx, but isn't that another made up job to create funds for the council?

What I'm initially saying is that there should be sufficient spaces for free parking for all abled/ disabled and then we wouldn't have to create traffic warden positions.

I have no issue with designated areas being assigned to the disabled although there may be a need for a time limit so that others can use these areas.

Park and ride schemes might be worth looking into?

A blue badge over here limits parking to three hours max. The irony is that while Blue Badge holders are often required to pay in privately owned car parks and even some public parking places they can park on yellow lines unless there are no loading bands on the pavement or would cause an obstruction by so doing. Again the three hour rule applies.

Have to agree with the Corpy on this one, just because a person is disabled doesn't mean they have a low income , I know many wealthy disabled people who get their blue badge then go out On a Saturday night and spend £150 on a Saturday night for a meal, they do quite correctly have the benefit of a closer car parking space, but they should pay. If the disabled person is on a low income, then the fee car parking permit could be provided by way of the Disability Allowance.

I'd hate to upset anyone who feels strongly about this and I don't know enough about the matter to make a valid contribution so I'm going to say adieu to this topic.

I do not object to paying=even as a pensioner=but I take twice as long to walk through town and do my shopping. Have people not noticed how slow we walk! Im sure you do because I often hear tuts if people are stuck behind me-there but by the grace of God I say-it may happen to you one day-So i will have to pay twice what an able bodied person has to. That in grossly unfair and discriminatory. I have so many extras to pay for because of my disability, things an able bodies person wouldn't think about-this is just another.

So they can afford a car, they can afford to shop, they have the time to go shopping, they choose to park in a Corpy car park. Why shouldn't they pay?

They can park their car anywhere they damn well please mostly.

Make the spaces closer to the exit maybe, let them have 1 hour free to allow for getting around if their disability pertains to mobility issues certainly, but pay they must, just as every one else must.

Or shop local and don't go into Douglas to shop.

Their choice.

This is just a redo of the disabled parking thread.

But my opinion is that if you can afford a car you can afford to pay for parking it. If you can drive a car you can work and earn money just like everyone else. There is no good reason why disabled peopled should get a service for nothing when everyone else has to pay for it. I am in favour of offering extra time for disabled people on their ticket to account for their slowness.

I work, I pay rent, I pay bills, I pay tax, I have health problems, I struggle. I might have full use of my legs but why should a disabled person who earns twice as much as me not pay for parking when I have to? Not keen on that.

Archived