Is Douglas Corporation listening?

commish

Blue Badge parking  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

David Christian says that the Council is listening to comments/complaints about the introduction of charges for Blue Badge holders to use its car parks. Let's see if we can quantify public opinion.....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm undecided on this, some badge holders have plenty of cash, most of the others are struggling to manage resources as they are not always capable of earning the same as their able bodied counterparts.

I guess the fairest thing is to give disabled people free parking. There have to be some advantages given to those less fortunate, and who would want to be disabled in order to get a bit of free parking?

I don't understand the link between blue badge holders and not paying for parking. The advantage of the designated spots is surely the position of the spaces themselves rather than not having to pay. Having said that, the alternatives for a non badge holder would simply be to either walk or use public transport which might not be available to a proportion of badge holders.

David Christian says that the Council is listening to comments/complaints about the introduction of charges for Blue Badge holders to use its car parks. Let's see if we can quantify public opinion.....

Christian needs to be reminded that he's a public servant. Not carry on in his belief that the public is there to meet the income demands and requirements of him and his staff.

I don't understand the link between blue badge holders and not paying for parking. The advantage of the designated spots is surely the position of the spaces themselves rather than not having to pay. Having said that, the alternatives for a non badge holder would simply be to either walk or use public transport which might not be available to a proportion of badge holders.

I would say that's a very good reason. I can choose not to pay by walking. Or I could stay home and shop online, which surely isn't what the Corpy want, neither is it good for vulnerable people to be almost forced into isolation.

If David Christian is concerned about family members/friends abusing the system, or parkers overstaying, the there are already systems in place to deal with that.

Also I think it's a nice thing to do.

Also I think it's a nice thing to do.

Correct. We are losing sight of our values as a society if we can't see that allowing people with mobility issues to park without paying is just a decent thing to allow. So much for civic pride and a caring society. We already have laws to crack down on abuse.

Christian needs to be reminded that he's a public servant. Not carry on in his belief that the public is there to meet the income demands and requirements of him and his staff.

If we're going to start lecturing all the people on the Island who need reminding of that we'll have to hire a stadium.

You missed a potential vote option - means test.

Yes .. People should be made to advertise the fact that they are disabled AND poor just so any council zealot doesn't think they are swinging the lead. In fact why don't we just go back to giving them those spazzy blue 3 wheeler cars like in the 1970s so everyone can see that they are a cripple with no money rather than motability allowing them to have a bit of dignity that might be mis interpreted as wealth by some corpy numbskull with an inferiority complex?

Yes .. People should be made to advertise the fact that they are disabled AND poor just so any council zealot doesn't think they are swinging the lead. In fact why don't we just go back to giving them those spazzy blue 3 wheeler cars like in the 1970s so everyone can see that they are a cripple with no money rather than motability allowing them to have a bit of dignity that might be mis interpreted as wealth by some corpy numbskull with an inferiority complex?

I think you have missed the point somewhat.

Those that can pay, should pay.

Yes .. People should be made to advertise the fact that they are disabled AND poor just so any council zealot doesn't think they are swinging the lead. In fact why don't we just go back to giving them those spazzy blue 3 wheeler cars like in the 1970s so everyone can see that they are a cripple with no money rather than motability allowing them to have a bit of dignity that might be mis interpreted as wealth by some a corpy numbskull with an inferiority complex?

Really? Is their shopping experience is some way enhanced by being a wealthy disabled person as opposed to a poor disabled person? Is it somehow less inconvenient being a rich as opposed to a poor disabled person? It still takes them longer to walk round the shops, get in and out of the carpark, and carry their bags whether rich or poor. Some sort of disabled apartheid where your modest means tested status has to be displayed in order to get preferential parking is just horrendous. As I said you mIght as well make them drive round in those little blue 3 wheelers just so some Corpy Hitler gets to know their true social and financial status and that it justifies the magnanimous benefit of £1.50 off a parking space. You're either disabled or your not. Your wealth in no way offsets any of the physical challenges of shopping and parking if you have mobility issues. Are we that desperate for £1.50 to feed the (very well paid) council workers that we should even be considering these sort of warped ethics and morality?

No they shouldn't.

No they shouldn't.

Yes they should. Your go.

No they shouldn't.

Yes they should. Your go.

There is already too much persecution of people with decent jobs/income on the island as it is.

Archived