Is Douglas Corporation listening?

commish

Blue Badge parking  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, free for those on low incomes.

Those on good incomes don't need it to be free.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Are you saying that all drivers on low incomes should get free parking?
I think all government (taxpayer-owned) parking should be free for everyone, rich and poor alike. Why should we pay twice to use our own property? It's all a scam to pay their salaries.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted " Yes, they should charge them but allow them twice as long"[/size]

My take on it is that if someones disability is severe enough they should be given free parking. But then where does it end? if they park all day, work a 9-5 I don't think that's fair on the others who have to pay sometimes £5+ a day.

In the M&S car park you only got a few hours free, not sure about Chester St.

If its only a few hours free than free parking should remain and I'll be changing my vote. I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that you could park for most of the day.

So, the Council has reviewed the decision, and has gone for the third option - charge Blue Badge holders but allow them twice the time. This is certainly an improvement but, if this poll is anything to go by (and I accept that it is only 68 respondants, and the vote was split) it does not satisfy the majority - 25% voted for the charges, 51% voted to have the charges scrapped, and 24% said charge but allow extra time. Perhaps the Council would like to listen to the majority.....?

I voted " Yes, they should charge them but allow them twice as long"[/size]

My take on it is that if someones disability is severe enough they should be given free parking. But then where does it end? if they park all day, work a 9-5 I don't think that's fair on the others who have to pay sometimes £5+ a day.

In the M&S car park you only got a few hours free, not sure about Chester St.

If its only a few hours free than free parking should remain and I'll be changing my vote. I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that you could park for most of the day.

A Blue Badge only gives three hours concessionary parking.

I n the Courier Christian says that charging will raise £6000/ FFS they probably drink this amount in the Mayors Parlour, so hey why not charge for the drinks when they entertain and let the vunerable in our Society feel valued and not something the cat has brought in. The O.A.P.'s , of which I am one know how it feels, we are obviously living too long and a great inconvenience to all concerned and now disabled people are getting the same treatment. Disgusting does not even come close. Also, people only get 3 hours so they cannot be working and using the disabled parks.

1-the disabled are always going on about equality, making them pay the same as everyone else would be equality

2- getting rid of the pointless corpy would be a better move

Equality doesn't mean treating everyone equally, it means giving people equal opportunitie and making the necessary adjustments in society and daily living so that this can happen.

It seems to be getting to the stage where people who are an inconvenience-ie disabled and old should not be living anymore. Thats how it feels sometimes. yet the old for instance taught you how to eat, dress, go to toilet, etc etc. So when the present younger generation grows older maybe then they will understand that it happens to all of us and disability unfortunately happens too-and it changes lives and believe me its not what I wanted for the last years of my life. Considering Ive worked for 43 years and had no benefits at all

It seems to be getting to the stage where people who are an inconvenience-ie disabled and old should not be living anymore. Thats how it feels sometimes. yet the old for instance taught you how to eat, dress, go to toilet, etc etc. So when the present younger generation grows older maybe then they will understand that it happens to all of us and disability unfortunately happens too-and it changes lives and believe me its not what I wanted for the last years of my life. Considering Ive worked for 43 years and had no benefits at all

stop feeling sorry for yourself, get out and enjoy life

woody2 I don't by any means feel sorry for myself at all. I get out and about as often as I can and have a loving family and many friends. But your comment is typical of responses to the old and disabled-is not as easy as it is for you

This whole issue is once again a very clear failure of Gawne to ensure that in the Agreement between the parties for the handing over of the car parks, there was no clause to ensure the disabled were protected, and for the rest of us as well, surely Gawne did ensure there was a clause included that would cap the increase in rates the Corporation could apply, will Chris Thomas be so kind to answer this question?

Archived