Is Douglas Corporation listening?

commish

Blue Badge parking  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Look, we are talking about a handful of parking spaces to make life easier for those who are unable to walk or walk very far.

What is wrong with some of you people? It's not about means testing, affordability or any other financial issue. It's about trying to make life for those disadvantaged by poor mobility a little easier and basic humanity. Something which is sadly lacking in some posters to this thread!

Maybe some of you should try and imagine what it is like for disabled people for a week? Try thinking about the pain that some of them are in and the difficulty in getting about in town. The trouble is that nobody ever realises until it is themselves that are affected.

To max, it could be that some people do not understand the problems or complexities of being disabled and would only truly know if they were either a carer or being disabled themselves.

It could also be true that some people could just think that all disabled people are the same or have a similar ailment or ability problem.

I can therefore only speak things as to how I view them and having a few disabled spaces dotted around town isn't a big deal. It's like if I was on a bus, I would happily give my seat up to an older person and expect many other people would do the same.

If I recall, the charity CIRCA, do mobility plus and have mobility scooters to get those less able around town

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work, I pay rent, I pay bills, I pay tax, I have health problems, I struggle. I might have full use of my legs but why should a disabled person who earns twice as much as me not pay for parking when I have to? Not keen on that.

You don't have to pay for parking. There are probably close to three-hundred 'free' parking spaces on the promenade and the surrounding areas that you can park in. I have to have my car doors fully open to get in & out and to get my wheelchair out of the car. So I don't have an option of those three-hundred spaces. I have access to about ten and even those are not all properly accessible. So you have a choice of free parking or pay for parking. I don't now have that choice.

We have an Island that still doesn't have an enforceable Disability Discrimination Act. We have a government that does not encourage people who have disabilities to be active members of the community. We have a government that is lining up to make sure the Equalities Bill does not go through. We have a country where a blind man can be thrown out of a cafe because he was with his guide dog. Disabled people are not even close to gaining any type of equality... except with regards to paying for a parking space in Douglas.

Vulgarian/Buster/Mr Christian/etc: As I now don't have realistic access to 'free' parking, would you support parking meters throughout Douglas, to ensure that everyone pays? Would that be 'fair'?

I work, I pay rent, I pay bills, I pay tax, I have health problems, I struggle. I might have full use of my legs but why should a disabled person who earns twice as much as me not pay for parking when I have to? Not keen on that.

You don't have to pay for parking. There are probably close to three-hundred 'free' parking spaces on the promenade and the surrounding areas that you can park in. I have to have my car doors fully open to get in & out and to get my wheelchair out of the car. So I don't have an option of those three-hundred spaces. I have access to about ten and even those are not all properly accessible. So you have a choice of free parking or pay for parking. I don't now have that choice.

We have an Island that still doesn't have an enforceable Disability Discrimination Act. We have a government that does not encourage people who have disabilities to be active members of the community. We have a government that is lining up to make sure the Equalities Bill does not go through. We have a country where a blind man can be thrown out of a cafe because he was with his guide dog. Disabled people are not even close to gaining any type of equality... except with regards to paying for a parking space in Douglas.

Vulgarian/Buster/Mr Christian/etc: As I now don't have realistic access to 'free' parking, would you support parking meters throughout Douglas, to ensure that everyone pays? Would that be 'fair'?

That could not be more fair. However Disabled people using chairs should be given far more spaces and bigger spaces.

Another point is that so many people get these badges that are not physically disabled, but are maybe unsighted and the badge is used by a family member, meaning they can claim a bigger parking spot near the exit, which then makes one less for the chair user who could really need it. That is not meant to sound harsh, but I know it sounds that way.

There are free disabled parking spaces on the promenade and just about everywhere else and they seldom seem to be occupied. So, yeah you do have a choice.

Keith has the answer, if disabled people have to pay, then charge everybody in every parking space, think of all the money the Corpy would have to waste then, but wait for it, the shopkeepers would be up in arms, because they would suffer loss of income.

There is a saying for all those on here who think disabled people should pay, " Walk in the shoes of those affected before making such comments ".

I voted " Yes, they should charge them but allow them twice as long"

My take on it is that if someones disability is severe enough they should be given free parking. But then where does it end? if they park all day, work a 9-5 I don't think that's fair on the others who have to pay sometimes £5+ a day.

I voted " Yes, they should charge them but allow them twice as long"[/size]

My take on it is that if someones disability is severe enough they should be given free parking. But then where does it end? if they park all day, work a 9-5 I don't think that's fair on the others who have to pay sometimes £5+ a day.

In the M&S car park you only got a few hours free, not sure about Chester St.

Archived