Horse Trams

Gee Cee

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a £263k loss, but I also factored in the proposal by the council to amalgamate the Tramway Terrace stables site with the tramway hub at the Strathallan site which would have wacked the cost right up.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/historic-horse-tram-service-to-be-axed-1-7690244

When the accounts actually appeared (as I pointed out a couple of pages back) the actual loss for the year was 'only' £208k not the £263k they gave out earlier. Which tells you something either about the inaccuracy of the Corpy's accounts or their honesty in press releases.

The building project had already been voted down by the councillors, which was what triggered the threat to stop the trams running. Apparently an annual loss of £450k was acceptable, but £208k was too much.

There will be retribution for this. The DOI ego will not take this lying down.

Watch out for a rash of employment-justifying vanity projects....

Well they've set their minds on spending £21m so they'll have to burn it on something else.

I heard they were going to paint the white lines on the roads.

They could start by fixing the bloody massive pot hole that exists on Circular Road at the traffic lights opposite St George's street.

There will be retribution for this. The DOI ego will not take this lying down.

Watch out for a rash of employment-justifying vanity projects....

Well they've set their minds on spending £21m so they'll have to burn it on something else.

I heard they were going to paint the white lines on the roads.

They could start by fixing the bloody massive pot hole that exists on Circular Road at the traffic lights opposite St George's street.

They need to redo the big roundabout outside the sea terminal. When you enter it off the prom now its like going into a gully.

TWATS. Those Who Approve Tram Service???

Was always going to happen this year at least. A year to lean on DCorp to take them back? However, what if DCorp seek permission to sell the stables and tram shed? Where will that leave the TWATS?

• 2 months later...

...................Just been reading the current, 'Old Glory', a steam magazine. It reports that IOM Railways are running the horse trams this season.

Is it true? I thought it was the DOE?

It's Longworth I believe.

The accepted mantra seems to be that if a taxpayer asset has wheels then Longworth is responsible for it.

...................Just been reading the current, 'Old Glory', a steam magazine. It reports that IOM Railways are running the horse trams this season.

The accepted mantra seems to be that if a taxpayer asset has wheels then Longworth is responsible for it.

And even if the taxpayer didn't actually pay for it, in respect of community and school minibuses, though I believe this has now been resolved....such a huge empire to maintain....

And even if the taxpayer didn't actually pay for it, in respect of community and school minibuses, though I believe this has now been resolved....such a huge empire to maintain....

Not a problem if you have a big enough ego ... however misguided.

Archived