Horse Trams

Gee Cee

The new signs that have gone up along the promenade in Douglas tell an interesting story. They are in the form of a large scale map with a 'you are here' flag. The horse trams are clearly marked. The tramway is shown running alongside the seaside side of the road. Not along the centre of the road, and not along the walkway.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone yet mentioned the welfare of the horses? Is it still necessary to have a single horse pull a heavy tram with a varying load of passengers just for the novelty of being pulled by an animal?

I'm aware that once running the effort required to keep them running isn't that great, but starting them going is horrible to watch.

Has anyone yet mentioned the welfare of the horses? Is it still necessary to have a single horse pull a heavy tram with a varying load of passengers just for the novelty of being pulled by an animal?

I'm aware that once running the effort required to keep them running isn't that great, but starting them going is horrible to watch.

you must have a good view from Norfolk :lol:

you must have a good view from Norfolk laugh.png

No, but I do have a good memory.

Is there nothing you can't find to moan about that is related to the Island?

The Shire is a working animal, with an enormous capacity for weight pulling. There is no welfare issue at all.

There are a number of heavy horse breeds that are classed as an endangered species - The Suffolk Punch for one

Would you prefer the breed to die out because there is no job for it? These types of breeds are not pets and they are rarely ridden animals

you must have a good view from Norfolk laugh.png

No, but I do have a good memory.

No you don't.

Archived