Horse Trams

Gee Cee

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a facebook site that provides all the info needed about horses being relocated to the walkway and not on the road way. Yes the road way needs massive rework but why put horse trams on the walkway along with people, cyclists, children, disabled, animals-some places there will barely be enough room for the horse tram let alone anything else. And what about the manure that will spread across the walkway-and seats facing the sea right in front of the railings. Oh and no zebra crossings or pelican crossings just courtesy points were a walker asks a driver to please stop for them??? Insane madness if you ask me a 8,500 others

The new signs that have gone up along the promenade in Douglas tell an interesting story. They are in the form of a large scale map with a 'you are here' flag. The horse trams are clearly marked. The tramway is shown running alongside the seaside side of the road. Not along the centre of the road, and not along the walkway.

The signs must be really helpful to those tourists who are looking to board a tram but who are not aware that those big iron rails that run down the centre of the road are where the trams go. Well done Douglas Corporation: money well spent.

There is a facebook site that provides all the info needed about horses being relocated to the walkway and not on the road way. Yes the road way needs massive rework but why put horse trams on the walkway along with people, cyclists, children, disabled, animals-some places there will barely be enough room for the horse tram let alone anything else. And what about the manure that will spread across the walkway-and seats facing the sea right in front of the railings. Oh and no zebra crossings or pelican crossings just courtesy points were a walker asks a driver to please stop for them??? Insane madness if you ask me a 8,500 others

The whole thing has the classic hallmarks of an expensive embarrassment already and they've not even lifted one kerbstone yet.

The whole thing has the classic hallmarks of an expensive embarrassment already and they've not even lifted one kerbstone yet.

Indeed - they have form here - just think of any major Gov. project, and try to find one that hasn't been a major cock up and/or cost us a fortune in subsequent years.

Indeed - they have form here - just think of any major Gov. project, and try to find one that hasn't been a major cock up and/or cost us a fortune in subsequent years.

They're not stopping on the trail of equally destructive cock ups either. I see they are now looking for £4m to put a funicular railway in to the Swingbridge control tower so it can operate (I assume at a massive loss, but hey ho, who gives a fuck it's not our money) as a visitor centre.

• 1 month later...

ah well, at least it's only £19m now :-(

I better get down there for my last ever walk along the prom as I reckon I'll be totally avoiding the place after they start messing it about

...... unless Minister U-turn does what he's renowned for, or gets more consultants and 'spurts on the job :lol:

#consultation is a total waste of time, they'll do what they want no matter what objections are put forward

How can it take so long for government to realise the whole plan is mad? The idea of parking on the walkway is bad enough, but horse trams! Surely our ever vigilant Health & Safety gestapo will scotch it. Think of the accidents to older people slipping on the sh1t, kids bikes and roller blades trapped in the rails, and much moe. All so that two or three tourists a day can have a ride. Nuts.

Have you ever seen a horse tram horse bolt on the prom? I have. People could get killed on the walkway.

I have too, it trotted to the end of the tracks and stopped. It could as easily kill someone if it bolted in the middle of the road. There's loads of photos from the olden days of where horse trams and pedestrians co-exist. Were there mass deaths from runaway horses?

Archived