Horse Trams

Gee Cee

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree about the transfer of cost. They ought to be run as part of IoM Railways. The new 'Go Explore' card allows travel on horse trams and railways, and there is some form of revenue split between the government and Douglas Corporation on the sale of the cards. Losing that at least would be an administrative saving. And, of course, the economies that should result from sharing the same administration ....

I agree about the transfer of cost. They ought to be run as part of IoM Railways. The new 'Go Explore' card allows travel on horse trams and railways, and there is some form of revenue split between the government and Douglas Corporation on the sale of the cards. Losing that at least would be an administrative saving. And, of course, the economies that should result from sharing the same administration ....

The first thing to do is take trams away from Douglas Corporation and the run them as part of a Heritage transport system.

I don't see why Douglas ratepayers should pay for them. Do Laxey ratepayers pay for the wheel?

Maybe it's time that they were handed over to enthusiasts, capable of safely operating (certified), maintaining and storing them.

Same with the steam railway.

The DOI is just rubbing it's hands at being able to spend £20m. This is the only driver in this project. Everyone else would just be happy to see new Tarmac go down. But that won't keep the DOI "managers" engaged for the next 9 years fannying around delivering a huge project nobody wants.

That is basically it. There must be management teams in the DOI having daily multiple orgasms about overseeing a £21m project that will bring Douglas to a halt for years and years. You can't blame the Body Shop for shutting down early. Once they start pulling the roads up that will be it for local traders for about 5 years. As the whole thing will be a crock of shit like everything else they've done.

Hasn't Gawne already sanctioned expense (track) on this...without Tynwald approval?

The guy should be sacked, he's way out of control and an arrogant twat.

The arrogance factor has become a prerequisite for anyone fancying themselves as future CM

Surely the answer is to upgrade the tramway to modern light railway standards, electrify it and extend MER trams to the Sea Terminal. Perhaps even acquiring three or four modern low floor trams which could provide a useful service from the heart of Douglas to Ramsey.

The horse trams could make occasional seasonal outings between May and September between the electric cars.

John

Surely the answer is to upgrade the tramway to modern light railway standards, electrify it and extend MER trams to the Sea Terminal. Perhaps even acquiring three or four modern low floor trams which could provide a useful service from the heart of Douglas to Ramsey.

The horse trams could make occasional seasonal outings between May and September between the electric cars.

John

I have always thought that was a good idea myself, John, especially when they so nearly link up anyway. However, it doesn't answer the question of whether they run in the road or on the walkway. People are resistant to the idea of the horse trams sharing the walkway, so I would think they would be even more resistant to the prospect of MER Trams running along the walkway.

The option of keeping the track in the roadway but singling it was rejected by Douglas Corporation on the grounds that horses would be spooked by oncoming vehicles running too close to them., Run MER trams instead, bingo, keep the tracks in roadway but single them! Sorted, and I doubt that you would require passing places between Derby Castle and the Sea Terminal to run with the MER's current frequency, either.

John

I have always thought that was a good idea myself, John, especially when they so nearly link up anyway. However, it doesn't answer the question of whether they run in the road or on the walkway. People are resistant to the idea of the horse trams sharing the walkway, so I would think they would be even more resistant to the prospect of MER Trams running along the walkway.

The option of keeping the track in the roadway but singling it was rejected by Douglas Corporation on the grounds that horses would be spooked by oncoming vehicles running too close to them., Run MER trams instead, bingo, keep the tracks in roadway but single them! Sorted, and I doubt that you would require passing places between Derby Castle and the Sea Terminal to run with the MER's current frequency, either.

I would think that having another lot of poles and overhead wires for the MER along the prom would be visually horrible clutter and make it even more like Blackpool (#shudder)

You probably need to look to the landward side of the prom for the worst eye-sores! The poles could go along the seaward side, cantilevering the supports out over the road. Street lighting could be combined, as seems to be the practice for some sections of the Blackpool tramway.

Personally, I find the tramway one of the more appealing visual elements of the Blackpool sea front.

John

That would be nothing short of a £30m folly.

Archived