Horse Trams

Gee Cee

Has anyone yet mentioned the welfare of the horses? Is it still necessary to have a single horse pull a heavy tram with a varying load of passengers just for the novelty of being pulled by an animal?

I'm aware that once running the effort required to keep them running isn't that great, but starting them going is horrible to watch.

Is there nothing you can't find to moan about that is related to the Island?

The Shire is a working animal, with an enormous capacity for weight pulling. There is no welfare issue at all.

There are a number of heavy horse breeds that are classed as an endangered species - The Suffolk Punch for one

Would you prefer the breed to die out because there is no job for it? These types of breeds are not pets and they are rarely ridden animals

The breed would be maintained in the same way that other rare breeds of animals are maintained, there is no need to exploit them.

As for harping on about things on the Island, it is only because there are now so very many things that ARE wrong that it is both simple to do and necessary to do because the majority of the population are ignoring them. Possibly because the majority of the population can't even see them.

But they're there.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone yet mentioned the welfare of the horses? Is it still necessary to have a single horse pull a heavy tram with a varying load of passengers just for the novelty of being pulled by an animal?

I'm aware that once running the effort required to keep them running isn't that great, but starting them going is horrible to watch.

The Shire is a working animal, with an enormous capacity for weight pulling. There is no welfare issue at all.

There are a number of heavy horse breeds that are classed as an endangered species - The Suffolk Punch for one

Would you prefer the breed to die out because there is no job for it? These types of breeds are not pets and they are rarely ridden animals

The breed would be maintained in the same way that other rare breeds of animals are maintained, there is no need to exploit them.

As for harping on about things on the Island, it is only because there are now so very many things that ARE wrong that it is both simple to do and necessary to do because the majority of the population are ignoring them. Possibly because the majority of the population can't even see them.

But they're there.

Why are the Horse Trams "now" wrong? They've been going for just a little while.

You are talking crap.

Rare breeds of horse are certainly not being maintained, particularly those whose original use was related to farming and forestry.

All of the British heavy horse breeds are endangered.

The Suffolk Punch and the Clydesdale are classed as critical.

There are less than 400 Suffolk Punch horses in the UK, and not all of those will be breeding stock. Once you take out the geldings, the aged and the ones that due to conformation are unsuitable, you are probably left with 50, if you are lucky, that could be used to breed

The Shire is classed as "at risk".

These are big animals, they are not pets. Its probably around £150 for a set of shoes every 6 weeks, if not more, they need to earn their keep.

But they're there.

Why are the Horse Trams "now" wrong? They've been going for just a little while.

Bear baiting, cock fighting, hare coursing, and a lot of exploitation of animals went on for hundreds of years but civilised behaviour put an end to them. Just because exploitation of animals has been going on for a long time does not excuse it's continuance.

If a horse drawn feature is wanted then there are far less ways to achieve this, not least landau carriages which have three added advantages, first there is no need for rails, secondly the work expected from the horse is less, thirdly they could be provided entirely by the private sector.

But they're there.

Bear baiting, cock fighting, hare coursing, and a lot of exploitation of animals went on for hundreds of years but civilised behaviour put an end to them. Just because exploitation of animals has been going on for a long time does not excuse it's continuance.

If a horse drawn feature is wanted then there are far less ways to achieve this, not least landau carriages which have three added advantages, first there is no need for rails, secondly the work expected from the horse is less, thirdly they could be provided entirely by the private sector.

I'm not the one who said it was "now" a problem, that was you.

Is it Shire horses on the trams? I thought not.

Possibly they are not pure bred, maybe 3/4. There also used to be one with a slash of white on its belly, which would have Clydesdale in it if it wasn't pure

I'm fairly certain they had pure shires and Clydesdales - possibly as breeding stock, as there were a couple that used to be kept over the field from mine, that were connected to the trams.

My point is that these are working horses, the vast majority are not leisure/ridden animals (though you used to be able to borrow some to ride over the winter).

You need the pure bred shire/Clydesdale to cross. No one is going to keep a pure bred stallion if it doesn't have a job.

They are not popular as a cross as a ridden horse - most people would go for a Irish Draught. The Suffolk can be a bit arsy, so again it wouldn't be your first choice to cross to ride, though you do get them.

Dunno Doc ,I find his ravings comical, he pontificates ,for example about how employers should treat ( exploit ) their workforce to get the best return on capital employed despite the fact that during his working life he's not been an employer and is so intent on getting the most return on his property portfolio and then complains when tenants react badly.

I may have it all wrong but I've always tried not to be too greedy and treated folk as I would like to be treated and most respond well , there is always the odd one who will see this as a sign of weakness and take the rise and then a robust response is entirely appropriate.

David didn't create "david" every time , sometimes he ended up with a pile of rubble , when I've "cocked up" I don't mind admitting it , as long as you've had more 'winners' than losers you're ' in front' .

Seems to me that Spookie may have what is known as "cognitive dissonance " and constantly has to justify his decision to move from the island and needs the island to fail and Norfolk succeed so he can tell anyone who will listen what a clever chap he is , and being a "man of the cloth" an ideal role model for us "lesser beings".

As a 'leader' I could only envisage anyone following Spookie out of idle curiosity but I could be wrongbiggrin.png

Archived