Community Speed Watch

Rhumsaa

i qwestioned my accuser in court as to his excesive speed on richmond hill he never rebutted his speed in my estimation to be around 75 in icey conditions but hes a copper ....i never speed but if ever accused i would want the finger pointer in court as manx oldfeller points out only sheeple will fall for this your only createing paperwork you will never get payed for derik

I think the point is that prevention is the intention here.

And prosecution ultimately would be no problem at all. Just as it isn't now. The speed guns are calibrated and easy to use. You'll probably get a warning initially but if you keep doing it you'll end up in court and you will be found guilty. The person holding the gun is irrelevant. Just as it is now.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are absolutely right, Forestboy, and we will be doing, where resources allow and intelligence take us. Unfortunately, we still can't be everywhere the public want us, because there aren't that many of us. 210 might seem a lot, but they aren't all providing community policing.

Preventive measures are always better than enforcement however, and that's what this will go some way to doing.

Oldmanxfella, notwithstanding your sweary rant, I'd be interested in your perspective on what part of our jobs we aren't doing properly

Well I think there are plenty of you. When I arrived in late 60's the force strength was a little over 100. I accept that the population numbers have increased by over 20 thousand together with increased traffic. Will you be training and issuing these people with high viz jackets and equipment? Will they be insured?

i qwestioned my accuser in court as to his excesive speed on richmond hill he never rebutted his speed in my estimation to be around 75 in icey conditions but hes a copper ....i never speed but if ever accused i would want the finger pointer in court as manx oldfeller points out only sheeple will fall for this your only createing paperwork you will never get payed for derik

And prosecution ultimately would be no problem at all. Just as it isn't now. The speed guns are calibrated and easy to use. You'll probably get a warning initially but if you keep doing it you'll end up in court and you will be found guilty. The person holding the gun is irrelevant. Just as it is now.

So you see no difference between a trained police officer who is entrusted to enact the laws of the land, and Mrs Smiggins from down the street?

The speed guns maybe calibrated, however there have been several instances of people getting off because the calibration sticker had been damaged or was out of calibration date.

You are absolutely right, Forestboy, and we will be doing, where resources allow and intelligence take us. Unfortunately, we still can't be everywhere the public want us, because there aren't that many of us. 210 might seem a lot, but they aren't all providing community policing.

Preventive measures are always better than enforcement however, and that's what this will go some way to doing.

Doesn't it occur to our police that giving highly motivated locals the opportunity to complain about every 'speeder', no matter how marginal, will lead to a tidal wave of both expectation that every 'complaint' should be followed up and when it isn't to even more disillusion with our boys in blue?

And since when did we agree en-masse to hand over public trust to private individuals. The police are paid to do a job on our behalf, not to hand it back to us!

If it is a question of priorities, then so be it. That's one for the police to sort out as we all have to in our respective areas of work....

Lots of good points, some more eloquently put than others :-)

The launch is a little while off, and there will be some more details then. Hopefully it wil work well, as it has done in other places. If not, then at least it was tried. The alternative is a community and a police service that is resistant to change and improvement. I doubt that is what anyone wants.

Derek

So you see no difference between a trained police officer who is entrusted to enact the laws of the land, and Mrs Smiggins from down the street?

The speed guns maybe calibrated, however there have been several instances of people getting off because the calibration sticker had been damaged or was out of calibration date.

i never said that manx but i think derik flint has implied that mrs smiggins is as good as a copper

i never said that manx but i think derik flint has implied that mrs smiggins is as good as a copper

Well she can be really because it isn't difficult is it.

"there have been several instances of people getting off because the calibration sticker had been damaged or was out of calibration date." - so what? How would that impact on me catching you speeding with a gun that is calibrated and in working order (as most are, most of the time)?

The speed guns don't know the laws of the land. They don't need too. They need pointing at the vehicle and measuring it's speed. The laws of the land as written deal with the rest.

To me, as long as a gun can record the speed and prove it (i.e record the number plate/picture the number plate) then the rest is a formality.

The idea here is to stop people speeding. I don't see how this can fail really.

Unsurprisingly, the majority of complaints about speeding come from people in specific localities. This gives them the opportunity to help do something about it.

Interspersed with enforcement deployments as well (coppers with a book of tickets and a laser), this should work well in keeping the roads that little bit safer.

Lets give it a chance eh?

Unsurprisingly, the majority of complaints about speeding in specific localities are totally ignored! Fact.

The local police 'hobbies' (that is what the Police Force in Liverpool call their traffic officers) could have a field day here in Onchan.

One policeman and gun in Main Road / Royal Avenue / Harbour Road could rack up a hell of a lot more per day than his wage.

How about giving that a chance?

Lots of good points, some more eloquently put than others :-)

The launch is a little while off, and there will be some more details then. Hopefully it wil work well, as it has done in other places. If not, then at least it was tried. The alternative is a community and a police service that is resistant to change and improvement. I doubt that is what anyone wants.

Derek

Well perhaps you should be out on the roads today yourself with a speed gun in hand rather than sitting at a desk monitoring Forums.

Well she can be really because it isn't difficult is it.

"there have been several instances of people getting off because the calibration sticker had been damaged or was out of calibration date." - so what? How would that impact on me catching you speeding with a gun that is calibrated and in working order (as most of most of the time)?

The speed guns don't know the laws of the land. They don't need too. They need pointing at the vehicle and measuring it's speed. The laws of the land as written deal with the rest.

To me, as long as a gun can record the speed and prove it (i.e record the number plate/picture the number plate) then the rest is a formality.

The idea here is to stop people speeding. I don't see how this can fail really.

You clearly don't understand just how easy it is to get a false positive result with a speed gun.

"I don't see how this can fail really." - There is a damning review of something if there ever was...

Archived