Community Speed Watch

Rhumsaa

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a slight tangent, the number of red light runners coming up to the lights at Bray Hill from Tromode direction in the mornings, is going to end up in a nasty accident.

One of my pet hates as well. They're mostly "amber gamblers" crossing the line right at the end of the amber light. They fail to understand that amber actually means "stop", not "floor it before it changes to red"

Yeah, but all the traffic signals on the Island should be turned to flashing amber outside of a peak hour morning and night. Totally unnecessary to stop people on our roads. Work much better with open junctions and would also instil a sense of responsibility. You wouldn't get people charging up to the junction trying to beat the amber if there was a chance someone out of sight was coming the other way with equal priority.

I may be wrong but I thought the object of the exercise was that the "old bill" would have a word with the alleged 'speeder' as opposed to instigating a prosecution.

Isn't that what would happen now if someone called crimestoppers about driving standards?

On a slight tangent, the number of red light runners coming up to the lights at Bray Hill from Tromode direction in the mornings, is going to end up in a nasty accident.

One of my pet hates as well. They're mostly "amber gamblers" crossing the line right at the end of the amber light. They fail to understand that amber actually means "stop", not "floor it before it changes to red"

Yeah, but all the traffic signals on the Island should be turned to flashing amber outside of a peak hour morning and night. Totally unnecessary to stop people on our roads. Work much better with open junctions and would also instil a sense of responsibility. You wouldn't get people charging up to the junction trying to beat the amber if there was a chance someone out of sight was coming the other way with equal priority.

I agree with this in principle but I am not sure it'd work in practice as people would lose their freaking minds

I may be wrong but I thought the object of the exercise was that the "old bill" would have a word with the alleged 'speeder' as opposed to instigating a prosecution.

And this is totally never ever going to be abused or used in a malicious fashion...ever...

Oh I totally agree. At quite a number of locations anyway. I believe the way it's handled in the British Isles is to designate them as "Part time traffic signals" with a nice big sign and just switch them off when not required. Flashing amber signals work well on the continent where their use is widespread and well understood, but it's a totally alien concept to most British drivers. You can see when traffic lights fail, even at peak times in some locations, and traffic still flows perfectly well without utter carnage.

Also to identify problem areas for proper police enforcement. With actual "evidence" rather than just a vague bleat that "everyone speeds through here", when in reality they've seen one car going a bit lively.

I agree with this in principle but I am not sure it'd work in practice as people would lose their freaking minds

That's what the authorities seem to think. In fact, when you credit people with having a brain and give them responsbility for their own actions and treat them like adults it's amazing how positively they respond. Of course there will always be the odd nutter and that's where you come down hard.

Recently in Madeira where this works very well.

Ah, that's how you police a land with no speed limits. By getting non-police to err, police it. I've got a better idea. How do you police a land with no police? Crazy.....cool.png I wonder, if one of the good citizens records a maniac driving at stupid mph, but their evidence transpires not to be solid enough to secure a conviction, will it be ok to kick the miscreant to death instead? cool.png That's probably what I'd do.

Eta - I think the words 'Care In The' are missing from the thread title.

Recently in Madeira where this works very well.

Yes. It is prevalent on the continent and it makes a huge amount of sense. There seems to be a mindset that the British way is the only way. We need to be more open to good ideas from further afield.

And go and have a word about pavement parking (pure lazyness) in Ashboune Avenue at number 13 ;0)

Really Notwell, ratting up your wife like that!!! Just ask her not to do it!

Enforce the roundabout rule to give way to traffic ALREADY on the roundabout and not approach at such a speed that you cannot stop should the need arise.

Rosemount lights change, in the evening, to on demand. Approach the top of Windsor rd slowly, the lights will change without the need for you to stop. Flashing Amber there could lead to Woodbourne rd. traffic thinking they have priority because it is the main road, approaching at such a speed that everyone else HAS to stop to allow them through.

Of course, we could all drive sensibly at all times but we don't.

Even a tourist tootling along at 20mph. is not driving sensibly!

Archived