Community Speed Watch

Rhumsaa

30 seconds and a quick google search:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N25ybu2y2aA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdjZE2YhLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUfGpj0ge4

Laser speed guns are not 100% accurate, even in the hands of trained professionals.

In the real world they mostly are and are used to convict people.

Fine, if you are saying speed guns shouldn't be used full stop by the Police then I get your point.

If we agree they are used and can be used then you don't need to be in the Police to learn how to use one.

How much training do you think you need to use a speed gun? I'd be surprised if it comprises more than a day.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about a simple night time job, just photograph the multitude of vehicles with missing tail/brake or headlights, I reckon it's about 10& of vehicles which I see at night fail the test.

Maybe Derek can come on MR and just ask everyone to check their lights once a week

(not all cars will tell you there's a lamp fail)

how about a simple night time job, just photograph the multitude of vehicles with missing tail/brake or headlights, I reckon it's about 10& of vehicles which I see at night fail the test.

Maybe Derek can come on MR and just ask everyone to check their lights once a week

OK. It shouldn't be, but I don't see a tail or brake light out as anything like as serious as charging around built up areas at 40 to 50mph. Not in the same league in my book.

OK. It shouldn't be, but I don't see a tail or brake light out as anything like as serious as charging around built up areas at 40 to 50mph. Not in the same league in my book.

except for motorbikes with no rear light which are like ghosts, or cars with one which look like a bike etc.

it's just a plain and simple offence to have defective lights, irrespective of whether one offence is more offensive than another :lol:

Why don't any of the sweary rant brigade do some basic research before they spout off on stuff they know nothing about. Sorry, rhetorical question.

When this programme was mentioned in the magazine article posted here a couple of weeks ago, a very brief google gave me info about all the police forces in the UK that have implemented it, together with information about the non-statutory nature of the "evidence"/participants and the objective of the programme, i.e. to reduce excessive speed by (a) firstly "having a word" (which as the Inspector will probably confirm is often all it takes for someone to up their driving standards) and (b) identify persistent offenders so that the proper powers that be can take appropriate action.

Now I'm not convinced that this scheme will be particularly effective and if I was being asked to sign off on it I'd be looking for lots of assurances around training and procedures to avoid abuses. And to be honest I would much prefer greater focus on driver training and regular assessment as a means to reduce road incidents. But come on, the level of stupid in some of the responses is bordering on epic.

....as for fecking tailgaters...............

Every day I drive to and from the east to the south, I try to leave plenty of space between my car and the car in front, like the chevrons on the motorway kind of distance. Most days Mr/Mrs I cannot possibly stay behind you when there is a space just big enough for my car in front of you, decide to overtake me. Today it was a twot in a Jag, I was so pleased to undertake him at the Cooil roundabout, pointless.

....as for fecking tailgaters...............

Every day I drive to and from the east to the south, I try to leave plenty of space between my car and the car in front, like the chevrons on the motorway kind of distance. Most days Mr/Mrs I cannot possibly stay behind you when there is a space just big enough for my car in front of you, decide to overtake me. Today it was a twot in a Jag, I was so pleased to undertake him at the Cooil roundabout, pointless.

Spot on Bees, when I'm on vintage machinery why is it that what I leave as braking space is seen by some idiots as room for them to overtake and then slam on the brakes (when approaching a road junction/roundabouts etc ) , worst culprits in my experience are those with swanky cars / motorcycles.

I have on occasions pulled up alongside (at traffic lights) and politely advised drivers of the braking capabilities of older machinery , some have taken it wellbiggrin.png

I feel we're always just dodging the obvious solution here because some pride themselves on the idea of the island having "no speed limits". Just install a few speed/safety cameras in towns and villages around the island where people should be slowing down. It seems to work in the UK and would probably work even better on our small roads here so why not?

Road safety around schools is suspect too. The zebra crossings near St Ninians and St Marys spring to mind. I don't know if there has been any accidents there but I've seen people forgetting about them, driving too fast and not leaving enough room for drivers to see if a child is crossing when in a queue. Why not have more apparent signage to tell drivers there is a school crossing?

Lastly I have actually seen more police/traffic wardens near nurseries and schools in Douglas so fair play to them because it used to be ridiculous the amount of cars you would see parked on pavements, on double yellows or on junctions. Someone with a pram shouldn't have to go onto the road to get around a mounted car.

Archived