Community Speed Watch

Rhumsaa

Unsurprisingly, the majority of complaints about speeding come from people in specific localities. This gives them the opportunity to help do something about it.

Interspersed with enforcement deployments as well (coppers with a book of tickets and a laser), this should work well in keeping the roads that little bit safer.

Lets give it a chance eh?

Depends who is using the laser gun I suppose, but isn't it a possibility someone could get a reg number wrong and an innocent gets a knock on the door instead?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unsurprisingly, the majority of complaints about speeding come from people in specific localities. This gives them the opportunity to help do something about it.

Interspersed with enforcement deployments as well (coppers with a book of tickets and a laser), this should work well in keeping the roads that little bit safer.

Cobblers Mr Flint. It's the job of you and your colleagues to enforce road traffic legislation.

What I can't grasp is why estates such as Willaston and Pulrose have 20 mph restricted zones whereas other highly populated residential roads around Douglas are 30 mph zones.

Is the safety of the residents outside Pulrose and Willaston not deemed to be equally important?

You are absolutely right, Forestboy, and we will be doing, where resources allow and intelligence take us. Unfortunately, we still can't be everywhere the public want us, because there aren't that many of us. 210 might seem a lot, but they aren't all providing community policing.

Preventive measures are always better than enforcement however, and that's what this will go some way to doing.

Oldmanxfella, notwithstanding your sweary rant, I'd be interested in your perspective on what part of our jobs we aren't doing properly

Preventive measures are always better than enforcement however, and that's what this will go some way to doing.

How much training is going to be given to the "volunteers" and what measures will there be in place to prevent this being misused?

This whole thing sounds like a "good idea on paper" affair.

You are absolutely right, Forestboy, and we will be doing, where resources allow and intelligence take us. Unfortunately, we still can't be everywhere the public want us, because there aren't that many of us. 210 might seem a lot, but they aren't all providing community policing.

Oldmanxfella, notwithstanding your sweary rant, I'd be interested in your perspective on what part of our jobs we aren't doing properly

Sweary rant or not the whole created informant situation is pathetic. We have bigger issues that need dealing with than the Police establishing a nosey bastards charter for speeding. You'd think that we don't have a massive drugs problem, or an issue with burglaries, or no child abuse or financial crime if we can divert so much effort into shopping people for doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. I stand by my comments - a totally pathetic initiative.

You won't be able to enforce any of it anyway as its their word against yours. Nothing would stand up in Court. In fact not even enough to issue a fine or a fixed penlty. So it's just another excuse for a load of self-righteous preachy bollocks posted on Facebook warning people about doing stuff that you have no powers to enforce.

"Hey. Don't speed kids, remember the speed gun toting Police informants are out there" .... yeah right. Piss off.

You would have less of a speeding issue in the residential estates if there were more frequent speed humps which also had those sharp type arrangement that damage tyres if you are going too quickly. Either that or make the speed humps meaningful.

And go and have a word about pavement parking (pure lazyness) in Ashboune Avenue at number 13 ;0)

Really Notwell, ratting up your wife like that!!! Just ask her not to do it!

Enforce the roundabout rule to give way to traffic ALREADY on the roundabout and not approach at such a speed that you cannot stop should the need arise.

Rosemount lights change, in the evening, to on demand. Approach the top of Windsor rd slowly, the lights will change without the need for you to stop. Flashing Amber there could lead to Woodbourne rd. traffic thinking they have priority because it is the main road, approaching at such a speed that everyone else HAS to stop to allow them through.

Of course, we could all drive sensibly at all times but we don't.

Even a tourist tootling along at 20mph. is not driving sensibly!

Good point to be fair. I've warned my wife a few times :)

I can tell you where there will be a huge accident due to speed. At the roundabout at the top of Meadow Crescent and the road that comes up from Kirby Garden Centre. Cars coming up that hill effectively ignore that it is a roundabout because they just assume they have right of way if nothing is coming down.

I've lost count of the amount of times i've arrived at that junction from Meadow Crescent and could have been involved in a huge accident due to the speed at which someone has approached that roundabout with no thought or consideration to what MIGHT be to their left.

i qwestioned my accuser in court as to his excesive speed on richmond hill he never rebutted his speed in my estimation to be around 75 in icey conditions but hes a copper ....i never speed but if ever accused i would want the finger pointer in court as manx oldfeller points out only sheeple will fall for this your only createing paperwork you will never get payed for derik

Archived