Local petrol-heads?

MickyBlue

Hi

Does anyone know of a local social club for car or bike enthusiasts? There's plenty of online banter - but I was thinking of groups which meet for a run out for breakfast on Sundays, pup nights etc. Google turns-up a few competition-oriented clubs, and a club for classic cars (60s or earlier) - but I can't find anything for enthusiasts interested in modern and sports cars.

Any ideas?

Micky

IAM do a regular bike run-out AFAIK.

The classic car bunch are a decent crowd, but it's not modern machinery.

You're always going to run into the low-numbers problem here, especially if it's marque-specific. Although the number of 458's I've seen on pricey personalised plates - they could probably have a drecent-sized club on their own.

• Like 1

There's a few clubs about, Porsche owners club, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Manx Classic car club and there's a Classic Ford owners club as well. That's all I know of for sure. There's monthly meet up at the Motor Museum on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 10am iirc (might be 10:30). I think the museum is a pretty good bet as a general rule as you do tend to get people out there anyway so if you make your way to the cafe you'll most likely meet some like-minded people in there.

The other clubs do have runs etc throughout the year but you kind of have to know someone that's involved or join the club yourself.

I was looking at trying to get all of the various club details and trying to do some sort of calendar of events for 2016 and beyond but again, it comes down to knowing the right people in the first place. I am a member on some of the Facebook groups if you want some links.

I have no idea on the bike side of things as that's just not my bag really but I am sure someone on here will know.

but I can't find anything for enthusiasts interested in modern and sports cars.

How modern are you looking at and how sporty? I know one of the guys that is a regular out at the museum has a Nissan GT-R (well actually, two of them do) and I've been out there when there was a Ferrari F12 and a 50th Anniversary Lamborghini Aventador (plus a couple of Porsches and another Fezza) among other machinery. I think both of the GT-R guys are into bikes as well.

I don't know what sort of turnout the monthly meets attract as it's a fairly new thing and they changed the day from Saturday to Sunday to try and boost numbers and aside from the one time I was out there on a Sunday, I've not been to any others as I don't have a car at present! - hoping to resolve that in time for the spring though).

My personal interest is from the 80s onwards, sports cars and supercars - but it's more about meeting a like-minded social group than any particular era of vehicles. I've recently bought a Sunday toy and it would be good to use it and meet with others rather than just drive around in circles or watch it sit lonely in the garage.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the museum. Looks like it's the third Sunday each month - so I'll go along in November and see who and what turns-up.

Micky

My personal interest is from the 80s onwards, sports cars and supercars - but it's more about meeting a like-minded social group than any particular era of vehicles. I've recently bought a Sunday toy and it would be good to use it and meet with others rather than just drive around in circles or watch it sit lonely in the garage.

Pretty much what I'm into but also the modern supercars as well (80's teenager so that's probably why). I do have an appreciation for cars from all eras though and am a member of multiple groups on Facebook that cover everything from the Arab supercar season in London to the very early days of motoring.

I think there are a lot of like-minded people over here, it's just getting them to know each other. Easy if you have a specific marque and there is an owners club locally but less so if you don't (or there isn't). I was chatting to a customer today and he is in the RR club and the Manc Classic Car club but he has other marques in his collection and he's not really able to share his passion for those so easily locally as there's either no owners club or simply not enough cars over here to justify one.

I'm getting the impression the motor museum thing is classic cars, but that's at odds with Mission's comments above. Also, looks as if it might be done for the summer?

Eitherways, @MickyBlue would be interesting to get your feedback if you go along.

I think you do get a good mix up there as a rule, some yank stuff, 80's stuff and classic / repo stuff as well (there's a lovely SS100 replica that is sometimes there for instance) I think you do get a bit of inter-club activity as well and there's usually a shout out beforehand in the the various groups to see who is going up. As for the summer thing, I think in general most of the events happen then but I know the Porsche boys are meeting up in early November.

IAM do a regular bike run-out AFAIK.

I've been on a few of these, great fun. Any kind of bike welcome, even Harleys.

I used to have a Sierra as my 'fun' car, a red 2.9 V6 4x4. Wonder if it's still around, it was a GLS, much rarer than the XR4x4.

It's a shame there isn't a local equivalent to the DVLA database (or a local reg checker / history app) so you could look it up online (or a VIN checker so you could see if it still exists but maybe across).

Wouldn't really bother with the XLR8 forum, no one's posted in there since the start of the year..... Your best bet is to check out the various groups on Facebook (XLR8, Manx Modified, Manx Drift Corporation, Classic Ford Club Isle of Man and Perfectly Retro). The Manx Modified group occasionally organises run outs (went to a few in the Westfield when I had it) as does the Ford club. I've done one with Perfectly Retro last year but haven't bothered organising anything this year as I don't have anything on the road.

• Like 1