Moving to the island

VorSprungDork

The Island has only recently recovered from restrictions by the public health chief (now retired) which prevented dogs from being in eating places, (including pubs as beer=food !) and have woken up to the lost business from dog owners, you used to be officially a pariah if you had a dog but now a bit more welcoming, lots of pubs now allow dogs in the bar, maybe not in restaurants though.

have a look here

Some of the footpaths have been getting overgrown due to lack of maintenance, there is a coastal path (way of the gull) all around the Island coastline which is not so strenuous as the Millennium way, and can be done in chunks.

As long as you avoid repeated comparisons with where you used to live you won't be referred to as a 'when-I' ("when I was in Poonah" etc)

If you like railways there's an abundance of original victoriana, steam, electric, horse drawn (just still going - ongoing saga !)

There's an awful lot of people who have come to live over here and think it's the best place they've hit, but some don't like being restricted by the size and have to get off again.

I think some of the larger properties are sticking and maybe having to drop prices, but smaller properties seem to sell ok, there are very few cheap country properties as most have already been bought, knocked down and mansions built on the site.

Weather - quite wet and windy, but with the sea all around us we never get extremes of hot or cold, just plenty of rain and seems to be always windy. You'll probably find you wear a pullover a lot more than 'down south' !

A visit will be very enlightening, but watch out for busy times like TT races late May,-June and more in late August where the place is stuffed with motorbikers and find closed roads for racing

good luck

Thanks, as you said the millennium way is strenuous I'm guessing that you mean that is quite hilly? From the internet I do like the look of it, as I get the impression that the views of the surrounding countryside will be much better than from the heritage way (most ex railway routes that I've been on have tended to have very limited views for substantial parts of their length). I will want to try and walk the millennium way in one go, I believe that it is about 28 miles, so long enough to be a challenge, but certainly achievable. My one concern about it is whether there be a lot of sheep roaming loose in the vicinity of it? Which may mean that I have to be careful with my dog.

I'm afraid that I am not into motorbikes at all, so I'll be avoiding the TT races, but I've looked at the road closure times, and it seems the practice week only closes the roads early evening anyway. Even those that don't like the TT racing must surely accept that it is very good for the island's economy, so it can't be that bad news, even for them. Is it easy enough to get around the island during race week using non closed roads?

Not all of them, but that's another story. As for getting around during race week it depends where you decide to settle. If you're south of Douglas you'll be fine, but more limited north of Douglas and anywhere adjoining or inside the course itself. Best to do a bit of research on that one, check out a map of the course online to see the effected areas.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even those that don't like the TT racing must surely accept that it is very good for the island's economy

Sits back to wait for the usual suspects to start ranting on about the TT.

Steve T - its only 3 or 4 weeks a year but anyone who has never been here might be led to think its 3 or 4 months by some naysayers.

The TT is a very busy period Steve T. But a touch of planning makes the inconvenience not too bad. As a another poster said if you live on the inside of the course it can be a bit more challenging.

The festival at the end of August Has similar road closure times but the island is no where near as busy. Although I suspect that festival is and will grow in numbers.

I'm afraid that I am not into motorbikes at all, so I'll be avoiding the TT races, but I've looked at the road closure times, and it seems the practice week only closes the roads early evening anyway. Even those that don't like the TT racing must surely accept that it is very good for the island's economy, so it can't be that bad news, even for them. Is it easy enough to get around the island during race week using non closed roads?

one of the aspects is travel to/from IoM around race weeks is that the ferries are booked up and prices are peak rate,

even being a native we are restricted when we can go on holiday off the Island, we may get away but can't get back when we want etc. so it's just disruption to travel plans

It isn't too difficult getting around most of the island during the TT festival. There are still many lovely places to explore if you are outside of the TT circuit.

The north is lovely and during TT road closures you can take the lovely coastal route into Laxey, then via Groudle to Onchan and Douglas. From there you can access the south and the west of the island.

The disruption mainly affects the working population so shouldn't be too much of a problem for a retired couple. In fact, it can pass you by in some parts of the island.

I find that the TT period is actually the perfect time to get off the island, there are some really good deals to be had if you plan it in advance and are travelling in the opposite direction to the tourists. That's exactly what I've done for the past few years.

Archived