Moving to the island

VorSprungDork

Hi All

I expect to be buying a house on the island within the next couple of years.

My hope is to keep my existing IT job in the south of England and just do it remotely.

I am trying to figure out where to buy a house. My daughter and her husband and my baby grandson will be joining me at some point so I need at least 4 bedrooms.

Was very tempted by a Mid Terrace in Ramsay with 12 bedrooms for £200,000 but decided that might be overkill!

Are there any pitfalls folks think I should watch out for. I have lived in the south for about 20 years, but from Liverpool originally and the kids were a bit of a nightmare back then. Are there any areas of the island to avoid in this regard?

I am a bit confused about if I need a work permit or not and a bit baffled about who I will be paying tax to since it currently comes out of my somewhat meagre salary directly.

I am hoping we can pull up the drawbridge after our arrival, any chance of that? wink.png

All responses useful or comical welcomed smile.png

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurrah for the modern world!

So why are you moving to the rock?

I have a baby grandson and want him to grow up in a safe environment. I worry about what the UK will look like in 30 years.

I just want to pull up the drawbridge and no longer worry about it.

Also, I love the island. We used to holiday in Howstrake holiday camp when I was a nipper and I have been back to the island a couple of times since.

Archived