Moving to the island

VorSprungDork

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurrah for the modern world!

So why are you moving to the rock?

I have a baby grandson and want him to grow up in a safe environment. I worry about what the UK will look like in 30 years.

I just want to pull up the drawbridge and no longer worry about it.

Also, I love the island. We used to holiday in Howstrake holiday camp when I was a nipper and I have been back a couple of times since.

Did you wonder why it was closed?

Hurrah for the modern world!

So why are you moving to the rock?

I have a baby grandson and want him to grow up in a safe environment. I worry about what the UK will look like in 30 years.

Also, I love the island. We used to holiday in Howstrake holiday camp when I was a nipper and I have been back a couple of times since.

Did you wonder why it was closed?

I just assumed everyone started going to the costa del sol :)

Why is everyone so miserable.

The Isle of Man is a lovely place.

I grew up here and moved to England a few years ago with work and every day I'm home I realise how much nicer and safer it is. Yes there may not be loads of attractions and 24/7 places but overall the IOM is so much nicer.

Avoid Foxdale unless your wife is also your sister.

I'm not a fan of the west in general, Peel, Foxdale etc but I do like Onchan, Birch Hill side, but that's probably just because I grew up there.

Why is everyone so miserable.

The Isle of Man is a lovely place.

I grew up here and moved to England a few years ago with work and every day I'm home I realise how much nicer and safer it is. Yes there may not be loads of attractions and 24/7 places but overall the IOM is so much nicer.

Avoid Foxdale unless your wife is also your sister.

I'm not a fan of the west in general, Peel, Foxdale etc but I do like Onchan, Birch Hill side, but that's probably just because I grew up there.

I guess you have only just moved back then?

Also, I love the island. We used to holiday in Howstrake holiday camp when I was a nipper and I have been back to the island a couple of times since.

People with that kind of attitude moving here worry me. I'd rather they moved here to contribute to a prosperous progressive modern island with its own identity. Not to be living in some museum of how life was in England 30 years ago.

People like that almost wrecked the Island in the 80's.

Before making a decision on moving to the island you might want to compare some government taxes and charges plus the cost of travel, electricity gas, petrol, vehicle licences and just about everything in the shops - all more expensive (in some cases very much more expensive) than the UK. And you should also bear in mind that the situation is getting worse rather than better - just have a look at the latest round of price rises for all the essential utilities. Don't get me wrong, the island is a lovely place to live and if you have plenty of cash you won't have a problem. Admittedly it's not as safe as it once was but then where is these days? Unfortunately it is run by people who seem to have little grasp of how ordinary folk live. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Archived