Moving to the island

VorSprungDork

I could show you the Island when you come over if you want? I like to do me bit now I'm retired. That's if you pay for the bus. I can use me bus pass! We could go to all the good pubs and that. Not the ones where the jousters go. The ones where the proper Manx fellas all go! The Saddle is good, and the Albert. Then we could get the bus to the Whitehouse in Peel. Funny buggers in there. If you're not a Peel fella! There's a bus from there up to the Central in Ramsey. Maybe give that a miss though. Dirty buggers some of them fellas! And the women. Christ you might go home with something! Them fellas are rough up North. Wouldn't be living up there! I like Anagh Coar. Best place in the Island! If you're staying a week there's a fella down the Legion who has a guest house on Palace Terrace. Only £30 a night. I painted the bathroom last year. It's on the second landing. I bet he'd do you a deal. Proper Manx fella him. Doesn't like jousters staying and that though! Well who would?

Lol, thats a very kind offer ;)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have a daily drive to work, you have some lovely options to buy a home. As has been said, flooding has affected a smallish area of the town near the harbour. You wouldn't be living there anyway.

The north has lovely level areas where the open skies offer lots of light and unobstructed sunshine when weather allows.

The town centre itself is pretty and not a carbon copy of every UK high street by having lots of independent local businesses.

Lots of walks up here in the North, up to the mountain and along the coast. Mooragh Park is great for families and a real asset to the island. Lots of restaurants up here now too, catering for any taste.

You could do a lot worse than the north of the island.

Thanks, I definitely feel pulled to Ramsay. Does it have fast internet do you know? The drive to Douglas looks about 30 minutes. I am hoping that will be quite cheap if I use an electric car. Are there any difficulties on the roads I should worry about?

If you don't have a daily drive to work, you have some lovely options to buy a home. As has been said, flooding has affected a smallish area of the town near the harbour. You wouldn't be living there anyway.

The north has lovely level areas where the open skies offer lots of light and unobstructed sunshine when weather allows.

The town centre itself is pretty and not a carbon copy of every UK high street by having lots of independent local businesses.

Lots of walks up here in the North, up to the mountain and along the coast. Mooragh Park is great for families and a real asset to the island. Lots of restaurants up here now too, catering for any taste.

You could do a lot worse than the north of the island.

Thanks, I definitely feel pulled to Ramsay. Does it have fast internet do you know? The drive to Douglas looks about 30 minutes. I am hoping that will be quite cheap if I use an electric car. Are there any difficulties on the roads I should worry about?

Some pillocks try to do it in 10 mins over the mountain of course.

The Central in Ramsey is closed Ron, have to be the Swan Ron!

It's been 10 year since I went drinking in Ramsey. Dirty buggers they were in there. Not surprised it's closed. Some of them fellas just weren't right. Still better than one of them jouster places though! I just stick to the Legion and the Albert now. Havent been to Ramsey for donkeys years.

The Central in Ramsey is closed Ron, have to be the Swan Ron!

It's been 10 year since I went drinking in Ramsey. Dirty buggers they were in there. Not surprised it's closed. Some of them fellas just weren't right. Still better than one of them jouster places though! I just stick to the Legion and the Albert now. Havent been to Ramsey for donkeys years.

Yeah I remember, in fact we all remember the night ''the outsider'' dared to ask for a drink in our Central. It's become part of Ramsey folklore. Actually the Central has been closed since it was flooded before Christmas, not sure if and when it's going to reopen.

Well past time that the Commercial Hotel was closed for refurbishment, or even permanently.

What a total eyesore this place is, a real carbuncle on the picturesque working harbour.

I heard that there are flats in there! This can't be true, surely?

Well past time that the Commercial Hotel was closed for refurbishment, or even permanently.

What a total eyesore this place is, a real carbuncle on the picturesque working harbour.

There's been flats there as long as I can remember and that's too long.

Hi All

I expect to be buying a house on the island within the next couple of years.

My hope is to keep my existing IT job in the south of England and just do it remotely.

I am trying to figure out where to buy a house. My daughter and her husband and my baby grandson will be joining me at some point so I need at least 4 bedrooms.

Was very tempted by a Mid Terrace in Ramsay with 12 bedrooms for £200,000 but decided that might be overkill!

Are there any pitfalls folks think I should watch out for. I have lived in the south for about 20 years, but from Liverpool originally and the kids were a bit of a nightmare back then. Are there any areas of the island to avoid in this regard?

I am a bit confused about if I need a work permit or not and a bit baffled about who I will be paying tax to since it currently comes out of my somewhat meagre salary directly.

I am hoping we can pull up the drawbridge after our arrival, any chance of that? ;)

All responses useful or comical welcomed :)

Don't do it. I've been here since 1968 having moved from Hampshire. The place is going to hell in a handcart with ever increasing costs and debts. The infrastructure including roads is in a decaying state. Yes there is nice countryside. Both my children bailed out to UK. stick with south west of England.

Given the amount of unoccupied and near-derelict buildings on the whole of the quay (some allegedly owned by one T. Hemmings awaiting development which is itself pending the building of the Ramsey Marina - draw your own conclusions), I'd suggest that the "Commie" is probably one of the least of the problems? It's now a private establishment and certainly the ground floor was given a facelift and a refurb not too long ago. There's a lot worse along the quay; and let's not forget one Young's Yard up the top end too.

Hi All

My hope is to keep my existing IT job in the south of England and just do it remotely.

I am trying to figure out where to buy a house. My daughter and her husband and my baby grandson will be joining me at some point so I need at least 4 bedrooms.

Was very tempted by a Mid Terrace in Ramsay with 12 bedrooms for £200,000 but decided that might be overkill!

Are there any pitfalls folks think I should watch out for. I have lived in the south for about 20 years, but from Liverpool originally and the kids were a bit of a nightmare back then. Are there any areas of the island to avoid in this regard?

I am a bit confused about if I need a work permit or not and a bit baffled about who I will be paying tax to since it currently comes out of my somewhat meagre salary directly.

I am hoping we can pull up the drawbridge after our arrival, any chance of that? wink.png

All responses useful or comical welcomed smile.png

Don't do it. I've been here since 1968 having moved from Hampshire. The place is going to hell in a handcart with ever increasing costs and debts. The infrastructure including roads is in a decaying state. Yes there is nice countryside. Both my children bailed out to UK. stick with south west of England.

You are a taxi owner and I claim my £5 thumbsup.gif

Hi All

All responses useful or comical welcomed smile.png

No doubt in 1968 some old timer might easily have said "Don't do it." to you. It wasn't a bowl of cherries on the Island then economically. I understand what you are saying having seen many changes for the worse recently, but there is a danger of looking at it with a totally jaundiced eye.

There are far worse places to live. A lot depends on how reliant on the local economy your finances are going to be. Also, a small Island can take a bit of getting used to and not everyone can hack it. Won't know till you try.

Archived