Moving to the island

VorSprungDork

If you don't have a daily drive to work, you have some lovely options to buy a home. As has been said, flooding has affected a smallish area of the town near the harbour. You wouldn't be living there anyway.

The north has lovely level areas where the open skies offer lots of light and unobstructed sunshine when weather allows.

The town centre itself is pretty and not a carbon copy of every UK high street by having lots of independent local businesses.

Lots of walks up here in the North, up to the mountain and along the coast. Mooragh Park is great for families and a real asset to the island. Lots of restaurants up here now too, catering for any taste.

You could do a lot worse than the north of the island.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a middle aged Scottish bloke who lives in China. I spent about 12 concurrent years on the IOM. Before I moved to China.

I am torn between thinking, is the IOM my home, is Britain my home, or is Scotland my home?

Of course, China is my home now. But on the "where is my heart?" score, the Isle of Man is half a percent behind Scotland.

It's a fantastic place. You will love it.

I could show you the Island when you come over if you want? I like to do me bit now I'm retired. That's if you pay for the bus. I can use me bus pass! We could go to all the good pubs and that. Not the ones where the jousters go. The ones where the proper Manx fellas all go! The Saddle is good, and the Albert. Then we could get the bus to the Whitehouse in Peel. Funny buggers in there. If you're not a Peel fella! There's a bus from there up to the Central in Ramsey. Maybe give that a miss though. Dirty buggers some of them fellas! And the women. Christ you might go home with something! Them fellas are rough up North. Wouldn't be living up there! I like Anagh Coar. Best place in the Island! If you're staying a week there's a fella down the Legion who has a guest house on Palace Terrace. Only £30 a night. I painted the bathroom last year. It's on the second landing. I bet he'd do you a deal. Proper Manx fella him. Doesn't like jousters staying and that though! Well who would?

Archived