Douglas South

Mission

Malarkey getting back in is a fucking disgrace.

I thought the same. In fact I am flabbergasted. What is his appeal? This is a serious question because there must be something that all of those people see in him. You mentioned Pulrose and the Pinewood but there is a lot more to the constituency than this could account for. He must have hidden depths, because I certainly cannot fathom this result. "Hit the ground running." indeed!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malarkey getting back in is a fucking disgrace.

I thought the same. In fact I am flabbergasted. What is his appeal? This is a serious question because there must be something that all of those people see in him. You mentioned Pulrose and the Pinewood but there is a lot more to the constituency than this could account for. He must have hidden depths, because I certainly cannot fathom this result. "Hit the ground running." indeed!

He can mend their washing machines?

I'm happy to say I voted for Mr Fitton, having read all of the manifesto's I thought him worthy of my vote. However I do think that certain areas of the constituency are always targeted by candidates whilst others never seem to get a second thought, even though their votes count just the same.

This is the great mystery of Douglas politics. Everyone thinks Douglas South is 'about' council housing in Pulrose and Anagh Coar, but if you look at the figures[1], the private housing in Ballaughton polling district makes up 63% of the voters (and there is private housing in the Pulrose PD as well). The council housing in the St Georges PD was also moved out of Douglas South this election as well. But still everyone behaves as if we were living in 1975 and ignores Ballaughton. I wonder if part of the reason for the low turnout over the year in the constituency is that the latter voters feel neglected and return the compliment at the ballot box. It may also be that the area contains a lot of voters comparatively new to the Island who do not feel connected to Manx politics.

[1] The 2011 registered voters by polling district via the Boundary Commission are Anagh Coar 811, Ballaughton 2771 and Pulrose 808.

Good analysis Roger. It's odd that Douglas South never seems to produce a candidate that appeals to Ballughton voters. For instance, a candidate who campaigned aggressively for an all-Island rating system would probably be very popular with Ballaughton households who are mostly paying very high rates (at least those in Douglas are, I'm not sure if some of Farmhill is Braddan).

Archived