Manx Grand Prix

manxie44

I am led to believe that next years MGP Races may take place before the Manx Motorcycle Race weekend. Reliable source, does anyone know anything about this ? Is it a plan to shorten the Meeting ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the Manx is on borrowed time.

Plus there is an issue over the standard of riders at the manx too.

What issue?

It isn't up to sufficient standard to cope with the top machinery

Perhaps you might like to discuss this opinion with the likes of Michael Dunlop and Ian Hutchinson, both of whom were once Manx Grand Prix riders. Besides them there are many others who did the MGP who became leading road racers. I think it's fair to say that they were of 'sufficient standard'.

Just make sure people keep calling it the Manx Grand Prix.

It really pisses DED and Paul Phillips off....from an acquaintance in the know... :-)

What issue?

Perhaps you might like to discuss this opinion with the likes of Michael Dunlop and Ian Hutchinson, both of whom were once Manx Grand Prix riders. Besides them there are many others who did the MGP who became leading road racers. I think it's fair to say that they were of 'sufficient standard'.

Dunlop and Hutchinson didn't need the MGP.

I know factually they have refused a load of entries this year due to standArd of rider.

You could equally argue the TT outside of the top 20 or so are struggling to get 1000cc machines round.

I've no doubt you could claim to argue that "notwell", however you have just, as usual ,just offered your opinion which you claim to be an irrefutable fact.

Out of idle curiosity are you a mate of MD and Hutchie and all the "top twenty riders " and ascertained that they have confirmed that "they don't need the MGP"?

What issue?

I know factually they have refused a load of entries this year due to standArd of rider.

You could equally argue the TT outside of the top 20 or so are struggling to get 1000cc machines round.

Didn't 'need' the Manx Grand Prix? Hmmmmm....

My understanding is that the MGP is oversubscribed, so there are bound to be entries turned down as a consequence. If a rider is not of the required standard to race on the Mountain course, then they should certainly not get an entry. Your earlier post implied a lack of ability in those who do have an entry.

They are club riders so in the main they will not be as quick as those who do the TT but then they won't have huge budgets like the top TT guys do - a lot of it will come out of their own pockets. You can buy a lot of speed if you have enough cash.

I'm not going to get into a protracted agrument about it - we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I am led to believe that next years MGP Races may take place before the Manx Motorcycle Race weekend. Reliable source, does anyone know anything about this ? Is it a plan to shorten the Meeting ?

Isn't this just because of when the August bank holiday (and the so called Festival of Motorcyling/Classic weekend) is - 2016 Mon 29 August, 2017 Monday 28th and 2018 Monday 27th? MGP Races take place in the week after the bank holiday weekend, which in 2018 ends on 31 August.

Having a look at the OFFICIAL visitor information website, checking out the timetables of events for THIS YEAR ...

http://www.visitisleofman.com/whatson/motorsport/festivalofmotorcycling.xml

This shit comes up - with downloadable documents at the bottom of the page .....

from 2015.

Surely we don't pay for someone to update the OFFICIAL visitor information website, it's just left so no one even thinks of coming here to spend money on the island.

FOR FUCKS SAKE GOVERNMENT, BLOODY WELL WAKE UP AND GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR WELL COMFORTABLE ARSES AND START TO DO A PROPER BLOODY JOB.

Having a look at the OFFICIAL visitor information website, checking out the timetables of events for THIS YEAR ...

http://www.visitisleofman.com/whatson/motorsport/festivalofmotorcycling.xml

This shit comes up - with downloadable documents at the bottom of the page .....

from 2015.

Surely we don't pay for someone to update the OFFICIAL visitor information website, it's just left so no one even thinks of coming here to spend money on the island.

FOR FUCKS SAKE GOVERNMENT, BLOODY WELL WAKE UP AND GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR WELL COMFORTABLE ARSES AND START TO DO A PROPER BLOODY JOB.

Your spot on. Part of the website has updated information but spoiled by the PDF documents relating to 2015. Unfortunately XinMan, you are dealing with vested interests and civil servants who don't work to logic or iniative. They have to be instructed. Outdated information isn't a tourist drawer I agree.

What issue?

Oh dear. The number of entries are determined by the ACU course licence which is the same as the TT, 80 riders.

The MGP is always oversubscribed and because of the course limit the MMCC has had to be more discerning about who is eligible to ride this year, nothing more sinister than that.

There have been outside influences trying to limit the number of newcomers accepted, more to reduce the amount of riders on the course during practice than anything.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree Notwell, what makes you think that the MGP is finished when the entries are oversubscribed, the racing is close and exciting with up and coming riders filling the grids. To say that Dunlop and Hutchinson didn't need the MGP to establish themselves shows a lack of understanding, why did they bother doing the event in the first place then?

Archived