Ashes to ashes, vatican style.

quilp

The Catholic Church releases its latest ruling...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/vatican-catholic-ashes-ban-no-scattering-allowed-a7379996.html

Religion; spiritual monopolies.

Good to see the catholic church aren't wasting their sacred time on poverty, HIV education and getting their house in order and dealing properly with rampant sex abuse committed by its disciples.

It (the church) probably burned hundreds of thousands of people for heresy over hundreds of years. Saving souls when it suits them.

If you were scattered or otherwise disposed of in an unapproved way, in the past, then what? Is it damnation, or maybe more time in purgatory? Also, is it the scatterer or the scattered who takes the shit on this?

I must admit I prefer the idea of a natural burial to cremation or a conventional burial. The graves are made deliberately shallow, so that one's remains rot down aerobically and return to the soil as nutrients for plants. That's assuming my first preference of being hung from a gibbet in Oxford Street is nowadays unacceptable.

Presumably, what they would prefer is a burial in a Catholic cemetery thereby retaining the lucrative initial appointment then the ongoing retention fee. Cynical b'stards.

In the 70s we went to Palma cathedral in Mallorca. My Dad, who was a rabid anti-Catholic, walked out in disgust on seeing a plaster hand covered in gold rings bequeathed by the faithful. His outrage was that below the cathedral was a shanty town whose inhabitants were probably the main donors of these items of jewellery which the cathedral kept on view as a mark of faith while ignoring the, then, deserate poverty of the very same people. He had very strong views on the matter, for a Southern Irish man educated by Jesuits.

If only Albert, the menace will ensure Arabia remains in the stone age. Kids are still coming out of school religious - how?!?

You think that kind of thing only happens in the Middle East? There is a worrying film on Netflix about the American "Christian" training schools. Future domestic terrorists of tomorrow right there.

My Dad...had very strong views on the matter, for a Southern Irish man educated by Jesuits.

In my experience Irish people educated by Jesuits/nuns/Christian Brothers are frequently among the most strident anti-catholic people you could possibly meet. Often due to their up close view of what the Catholic Church was really like, or for yet darker reasons.

Religious people are generally lazy and stupid people.

They don't generally have a clue what E=MC2 means, and are happy to live like ignorant Monkeys. Cos...that's what they are.

Well, in the opinion of just some bloke anyway.

You seem to use the term "generally" a lot when referring to groups of people. However as I understand it all generalisations are worthless including this one?

+1 P.K. I was thinking the same thing myself and was too lazy to say so, but you have punctured my apathy. Albert is being ridiculous and insulting. I am a convinced sceptic myself when it comes to religious belief, but I am very often impressed by the intellect of some believers and by the way they lead their lives. The most telling examples for me are personal friends, so I can't quote them as examples. However, the likes of Dietrich Bonnhoeffer and Saint Maximillion Kolbe provide us with the highest examples of moral strength.

As regards ignorance of science, I agree that there is a general woeful lack of education. However, whilst I for one understand that E=MC2 describes mass and energy equivalence, I wonder how many of us truly understand the equation. Why is the constant C the speed of light, for example? My point is that for most of us, acceptance of scientific orthodoxy is based on not much more than faith.

Archived