Citizens central database ....

dreamon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to a radio piece on this earlier today, comparing the risks to a Government database to the recent breach at Tesco. Without knowing the specifics of this particular database, the IOMG already has several data-sources with the likes of income-tax, the NSC, healthcare and education - so I fail to see why this particular initiative has more attention than the databases that already exist today.

The threats and risks associated with security, whether digital or not, have existed for some time, and will continue to do so - whether that is stealing data from a database, photocopying papers or stealing a bunch of lever arch files. I would actually argue that in many cases, the security and controls associated with electronic data can be more robust than with traditional methods. (Assuming competent people implement them!)

I have no particular strength of feeling on the subject, but with anything like this, I always ask what the objectors would propose as the alternative? No information? Paper files?

Remember this:

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2015/05/22/isle-of-man-taxpayers-info-leaked-due-to-email-error/

Fills you with confidence, doesn't it? The hackers must be looking forward in anticipation!

That is a human. They are the single biggest risk to security, whether physical, digital or otherwise. Provided you accommodate that risk...

A proper database would probably be a good thing. For example, if you claim EPA and need to get a GOschool bus card you have to talk to 3 different departments and tell them all the same stuff because they don't or aren't allowed to share information, so something that should take about two mi utez actually takes several days and lots of phone calls. A centralised system should make it easier.

Although obviously, like everything else, it will be massively bloated, cost 20 times as much as it should and probably never work.

Also, internet petitions are stupid and never work. And this one has been set up by that drunk woman.

Waken up .... smell the coffee, and get your vote logged now:

https://www.change.org/p/say-no-to-a-single-government-database-on-citizens

Looks like the usual Facebook deadbeats and moon howlers shouting about this one.

Why doesn't Cat Turner just STFU? Didn't get into Keys. No need to here her stupid views on anything for another 5 years.

Quantum computers are on the way. They'll soon know everything they want to know and much more about everyone.

A mind bogglingly fantastic invention of quantum mechanics. A 300 atom quantum-computing crystal so powerful that in order for a conventional computer to match it, that computer would have to be the size of the known universe.

I see that tin-foil wearing, there's-a-snooper-under-your-bed, Llewellyn-Wotsit is banging on about it too...yawn. At least now that Rodan has been usefully sidelined into the non-job of "President" he can't perform his usual trick of acting as unquestioning Tynwald loon mouthpiece for Llewellyn, the champion of the terminally neurotic. We hope. Llewellyn and the ludicrous Turner woman should both just up sticks and go and live in the Gobi desert where the spooks of our civil service would never find them.

I see that tin-foil wearing, there's-a-snooper-under-your-bed, Llewellyn-Wotsit is banging on about it too...yawn. At least now that Rodan has been usefully sidelined into the non-job of "President" he can't perform his usual trick of acting as unquestioning Tynwald loon mouthpiece for Llewellyn, the champion of the terminally neurotic. We hope. Llewellyn and the ludicrous Turner woman should both just up sticks and go and live in the Gobi desert where the spooks of our civil service would never find them.

I agree I read his letter online and it reads like he's a total fucking nutter. Also agree with JC above in that Turner should just disappear back up her own arse after her 15 minutes of fame. Nobody is interested in the irritating psycho-babble of people who clearly go to bed every night paranoid that they'll get abducted by aliens and wake up on another planet with a sore arse.

Quantum computers are on the way. They'll soon know everything they want to know and much more about everyone.

Despite various attention grabbing press releases aimed at potential investors, the reality is that practical quantum computing is a remote possibility. Same as nuclear fusion outside of the lab.

But when it does happen the forces of government will only be a few years at most ahead of the sort of companies which are today making cheap smartphone in China. Then everyone will all have the same encryption / decryption capabilities and the balance will be restored. Because much more powerful computers will also enable much more powerful encryption.

So we are looking at a brief window when govt is ahead of the bad guys and all currently stored data could be quickly decrypted. That's no bad thing. The Cambridge spies were ultimately caught as a result of wartime data which was decrypted many years later when the technology caught up.

Archived