£2m to 'Save the Horse Trams' (don't worry, not tax-payer's money)

Nellie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it you don't approve then.

A money pit that is hardly an attraction draw that causes traffic disruption on one of the busiest stretches of road in Douglas?

Yeah...I don't approve

Yeah, but nobody's in that much of a hurry to get to the other end of the prom are they?

Yeah, but nobody's in that much of a hurry to get to the other end of the prom are they?

You mean other than all the traffic that tries to get along it at peak times?

Yes, but how much delay is caused by the horse tram? It isn't even running in the morning peak and that is the busiest time. In the evening if you get behind something that can't pass the tram, what? 5 to 10 minutes tops? Relax.

Yes, but how much delay is caused by the horse tram? It isn't even running in the morning peak and that is the busiest time. In the evening if you get behind something that can't pass the tram, what? 5 to 10 minutes tops? Relax.

Yes because that's how congestion works...

You can be just as much held up by someone who needs the whole road to be able to reverse into a parking bay on Loch Prom, and then takes all day over it because people are watching them.

Yes, the horse trams are unique, and people do come from worldwide to experience them, despite the abysmal advertising of something that no-one else in the world can boast about.

You can be just as much held up by someone who needs the whole road to be able to reverse into a parking bay on Loch Prom, and then takes all day over it because people are watching them.

Yes, the horse trams are unique, and people do come from worldwide to experience them, despite the abysmal advertising of something that no-one else in the world can boast about.

I agree. I get held up quite a bit trying to anticipate and avoid the actions of people looking for a parking slot on Loch Prom.

It isn't just the horse trams that are part of our tourism offering, it's heritage railways as a whole. The MER and horse trams are fully intact and run to their original termini, and are unique. They have their full historical context. If the horse trams no longer join the MER to the Sea Terminal and to the town centre, the context is destroyed.

Just as we see the TT in a wider economic context, we need to look at benefits across the economy that arise from heritage railway visitors.

They're useless and pointless. If you want to keep them, at least get them off the fecking road.

They've been on the road longer than you have! Get yourself off the effin road.

I encountered tourists from a large number of different countries riding on the horse trams last year. The funniest was the Japanese girl, who wanted her friend to take a photo of her, but was scared of the horse.... unless that was just an excuse to get the driver to cuddle her ;-)

Archived