£2m to 'Save the Horse Trams' (don't worry, not tax-payer's money)

Nellie

I've done successful crowdfunding before on justgiving (actually four times what the horse trams have got atm).

The pier is a waste of time and effort. To do anything with it, you'd basically need a brand new pier, and no one is doing them any more. The survey and shit was done a long time ago on that pier, it's just a big money sink. I can guarantee before any work is to be started on it another survey or two will be required. It's absolute utter nonsense, but people will continue to waste their time with it

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your assertion that it is "unnecessary" is just your opinion , bit like, I would suggest , many of your posts.

Unnecessary...as in not of an immediate need or requirement. Do you we need them? No. Are they a requirement? No.

Just saying. Hope that helps.

what's all this "WE" cobblers . Some may argue that they are a valued attraction .

Does this forum "need you" ....... perhaps not laugh.png

hope this helps , if only to serve that at least one resident on this island disagrees with youflowers.gif

I've done successful crowdfunding before on justgiving (actually four times what the horse trams have got atm).

The pier is a waste of time and effort. To do anything with it, you'd basically need a brand new pier, and no one is doing them any more. The survey and shit was done a long time ago on that pier, it's just a big money sink. I can guarantee before any work is to be started on it another survey or two will be required. It's absolute utter nonsense, but people will continue to waste their time with it

It isn't a waste of time at all.

It's an absolute crime that the pier wasn't addressed 25 years ago when we had plenty of money and the actual cost wasn't that bad. It's admirable that someone is taking the lead. What they really need is a sizeable donor which might then give them leverage to obtain support from MNH or lottery funding.

Oh, and your maths needs looking at. You said the tram lot could get to 0.5% of their target which I assume you meant at £1000.

That's 0.05%.

Ah piss, I meant 0.05% (I got it right a few posts before that tongue.png) - But they're up to £1600 now, the money has just poured in! £1000 from John Oliver, which I assume is THE John Oliver.

How is it not a waste? It's a pointless eyesore of a pier that's eventually going to wash away because there is no sizeable donor that wants to come forward. It might be sad it was allowed to shut 26 years ago, but it's a quarter of a century ago, why try and re-open it, so people can take a windy walk out to the end? Barely anyone even walks to the end of the stone piers either for the same reason it's freezing.

There is almost zero demand for the pier - no ferry passengers to be dropped off there, no massive Ramsey population increase. Any money given to the pier will just be squandered, just like money given to MERS

Just to correct any misunderstanding regarding Queens Pier, the survey I mentioned is a recent exercise. It was a full engineering survey of the iron and steel structure, including ultrasound to determine exactly how much of the pier will have to be replaced. That will allow the scope of the restoration to be determined. It has also gone to the DoI. If DoI accept the survey report, the intention is to sign a lease and for work to begin in the Spring.

In relation to the Horse Trams, I understand the fund raising is intended to bankroll a legal challenge to the Government proposal to truncate the line at the Gaiety Theatre. Knowing that I might well contribute once the Tynwald vote result is known.

I had an email reply from one my MHKs, Chris Robertshaw, saying that he would be moving an amendment aimed at preserving the line to the Sea Terminal even if in single-track form. Ms Bettison has not even acknowledged either of my 2 emails to her.

Ramsey Pier is a total waste of money. It's got more interest as a rotting old curio than it has as a vibrant interest for the future. The real crime was that £1 million was not given to Ramsey as a bribe to shut them up and let them accept the pier was going to rot into the sea.

Spend the money (if there is any) on Ramsey itself. Everybody likes to 'save' something, everybody believes that 'something must be done' but these crowdfunding exercises just underline the fact that nobody is really that interested and a strong government with a backbone could really move some things on if they stopped looking over their shoulder and listening to Old Mrs Kneale from Number 6.

£70 raised so far. Absolutely deluded.

How can you say that? In the last 4 hours alone it's gone from £70 all the way up to £70.

If they get to £250 I'll be amazed.

£2,230 - be amazed,

Also, to add, that the 'fiercely independent' Isle of Man is a pathetic embarrassment when it comes to anything that has been brushed past by a royal. I'm no Manx nationalist, but I found myself cringeing when driving around the Island with friends and having to field questions about our deferential road names / pub names / building names.

Are we subjects or not? We're encouraged to believe that we don't kneel to the Saxe Coburg and that we're independent, and then in the next breath we're accepting MBEs and naming things the Queens Pier. it smacks of a lack of self confidence and an eagerness to climb up the greasy pole of the class system.

We're encouraged to believe that we don't kneel to the Saxe Coburg and that we're independent, .

Really? I think you imagined that. Whenever I hear anything on the subject from the authorities it is pretty clear that we cleave to the Crown and the Lord of Mann.

Being blunt..? We're independent when it comes to the "local" usual suspects and the tax avoidance community benefitting...for all other intents and purposes we bend the knee.

what's all this "WE" cobblers . Some may argue that they are a valued attraction .

hope this helps , if only to serve that at least one resident on this island disagrees with youflowers.gif

We as in society in the larger sense. Society does not need an outdated, inefficient and unsustainable "attraction".

Maybe the fact that it isn't seen as a "valued attraction" by the majority will make you see this.

Hope this helps.

We as in society in the larger sense. Society does not need an outdated, inefficient and unsustainable "attraction".

Maybe the fact that it isn't seen as a "valued attraction" by the majority will make you see this.

Hope this helps.

I don't know about that. Everybody seems to be up in arms if you propose ditching the horse trams. I would dispute that it isn't seen as a valued attraction by the majority. It is unique after all. That must count for something in a tourist offering.

Hope this helps.

I don't know about that. Everybody seems to be up in arms if you propose ditching the horse trams. I would dispute that it isn't seen as a valued attraction by the majority. It is unique after all. That must count for something in a tourist offering.

"Everybody" doesn't seem to be up in arms at all.

And "unique" doesn't always mean its a good thing.

Archived