Vegan Eateries

Rhumsaa

Read the e-mails from Guinness at the bottom of the table. The new plant at St James Gate will be using filtering, not synthetic fining. It isn't operational yet. Guinness is brewed in 40+ breweries world wide. It's only Guinness brewed in Australia ( currently ) and Dublin ( soon) that's going to be vegan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone got a recommendation for somewhere to eat for a visiting vegan on the Island?

Rhumsaa, you should ask on the IOM vegans Facebook group. I'm vegan but I don't eat out much as I enjoy cooking so can't really say. If they're female and good looking then they are welcome to stop at mine for a homemade vegan dinner.

If they're with you a week it may be worth contacting The Green Machine and ordering some delicious vegan cakes which they'll deliver to your home or work (their menu is on their Facebook page). They're the ones who, I think, provide vegan cakes to The Eatery. I thought there was a vegan cafe opening in Ramsey?

Read the e-mails from Guinness at the bottom of the table. The new plant at St James Gate will be using filtering, not synthetic fining. It isn't operational yet. Guinness is brewed in 40+ breweries world wide. It's only Guinness brewed in Australia ( currently ) and Dublin ( soon) that's going to be vegan

Rather than read quoted excerpts on some unofficial vegan crackpot website, I prefer to refer to more reputable outlets like the Guardian, Telegraph etc where it was reported that Guinness would be removing fishy stuff from all brewing. Also as reputable popular science explains there are synthetic and other alternatives that would be added to the process for the filtering to work http://www.popsci.com/how-is-guinness-going-vegan.

So you are not correct and if you are relying on the word of vegans then..

I'm vegan

Nuff said.

J2bad, shame you don't read things in full, or possibly understand what you read.

1. There is no FDA or EU approved synthetic fining material. So Guinness isn't going to replace fining with isinglass by fining with something synthetic.

2. The article you link to is suggests it will be improved filtering, not fining. That's what I said they were going to do.

3. That new bit isn't open or operational yet. So Guinness at St James Gate is still produced at the moment using isinglass. Guinness on the shelves and in the cask will continue to be isinglass " contaminated" for some time.

4. Guinness and the articles you link to say that it's only St James Gate. There's no suggestion that their other 4 owned breweries, in Africa, are upgrading. The other 40 producers worldwide do so under licence, and there's no suggesting that they are upgrading either.

The site I linked to has, at the bottom of the tables, e-mails from Guinness which confirm what I'm saying.

You've jumped the gun.

Guinness owner Diageo statement

"Thank you for your recent email. It is always good to hear from our loyal consumers. We are delighted to receive any feedback on our products and communications, as it keeps us in touch with the people that matter - you.
Our brewers and engineering teams at St James’s Gate are continually working to drive improvement as well as assuring the quality and craft of the brewing techniques developed here over the last 256 years.
Isinglass has been used widely within the brewing industry as a means of filtration for decades. However, because of its use we could not label Guinness as suitable for vegetarians and have been looking for an alternative solution for some time. We are now pleased to have identified a new process through investment in a state-of-the-art filtration system at St James’s Gate which, once in place, will remove the use of isinglass in the brewing process.
We hope to have the new system up and running by late 2016 with the liquid on the shelves for consumers to buy soon after, however the system is still in it's early stages and this timescale is by no means set in stone.
We thank you for your interest in our brand and we look forward to hearing from you again in the future.
Best wishes from Diageo."
So we don't know what the present score is, unless someone has something more recent

Guinness owner Diageo statement

"Thank you for your recent email. It is always good to hear from our loyal consumers. We are delighted to receive any feedback on our products and communications, as it keeps us in touch with the people that matter - you.

Our brewers and engineering teams at St James’s Gate are continually working to drive improvement as well as assuring the quality and craft of the brewing techniques developed here over the last 256 years.

Isinglass has been used widely within the brewing industry as a means of filtration for decades. However, because of its use we could not label Guinness as suitable for vegetarians and have been looking for an alternative solution for some time. We are now pleased to have identified a new process through investment in a state-of-the-art filtration system at St James’s Gate which, once in place, will remove the use of isinglass in the brewing process.

We hope to have the new system up and running by late 2016 with the liquid on the shelves for consumers to buy soon after, however the system is still in it's early stages and this timescale is by no means set in stone.

We thank you for your interest in our brand and we look forward to hearing from you again in the future.

Best wishes from Diageo."

So we don't know what the present score is, unless someone has something more recent

We will know as soon as it happens because Guinness will put a "V" sign or the words " suitable for vegetarians" on the label.

I guess it's quicker than saying "I am extremely passionate about avoiding animal cruelty, eating ethically and enjoy whole, plant-based foods from the earth."

BTTT: Bradda Glen are good, 14 North & New Manila too. Thai Thai, Samphire, Spice of India in Ramsey, Kurries & Steaks all have vegan options.

I'm vegan

Nuff said.

Coming from a cyclist, "nuff" said.

You gave yourself the label Vegan, I reject your labels.

And I reject your consumption of murdered animals. Eat your bike.

Suppose if you eat chips and organic baked beans makes you a vegan, i imagine I eat much healthier than you.

The animals are not murdered they are farmed and I don't consume, I celebrate their meaty protein rich goodness, the ones I see when I do go out cycling all look happy with their lot.

I'm vegan

Nuff said.

Coming from a cyclist, "nuff" said.

You gave yourself the label Vegan, I reject your labels.

And I reject your consumption of murdered animals. Eat your bike.

Suppose if you eat chips and organic baked beans makes you a vegan, i imagine I eat much healthier than you.

The animals are not murdered they are farmed and I don't consume, I celebrate their meaty protein rich goodness, the ones I see when I do go out cycling all look happy with their lot.

I haven't eaten a chip in years. I eat all fresh, homemade and organic meals made from scratch. No ready made rubbish. I love cooking and eating. You can't deny that the animals are being mistreated by being enslaved and killed. It's just a fact. I recommend becoming vegetarian and transitioning to a vegan Diet. I've been vegan over and decade and I look much younger than my peers.

Archived