So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 hour ago, sir nige said:

job done......and as i said the government is picking up the bill.......

1.  Since when did a budget announcement become a change in legislation?

2.  I was pleased to hear the confirmation that Government would pick up the tab for businesses employer fewer than 250 people.

3.  SSP remains at around £94.25 per week (planned to increase to £95.85 on 6 April).  Many people will struggle to live on that why not announce a temporary increase? 

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

3.  SSP remains at around £94.25 per week (planned to increase to £95.85 on 6 April).  Many people will struggle to live on that why not announce a temporary increase? 

I suppose because the argument would be if it costs more to live now why should it cost any less after the emergency is over. It's easier to resist granting an increase than it is to withdraw it later. And cheaper of course. The magic money tree is not infinite. 

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

1.  Since when did a budget announcement become a change in legislation?

2.  I was pleased to hear the confirmation that Government would pick up the tab for businesses employer fewer than 250 people.

1. when you have a 80 seat majority........

2. much more than that......

£5bn emergency response fund to support the NHS and other public services in England

All those advised to self-isolate will be entitled to statutory sick pay, even if they have not presented with symptoms

Self-employed workers who are not eligible will be able to claim contributory Employment Support Allowance

The ESA benefit will be available from day one, not after a week as now

£500m hardship fund for councils in England to help the most vulnerable in their areas

Firms with fewer than 250 staff will be refunded for sick pay payments for two weeks

3. cost

9 minutes ago, sir nige said:

1. when you have a 80 seat majority........

They still need to actually bring the legislation before Parliament.  So far two promises and no legislation...

2. much more than that......

Sure, but I was specifically talking about SSP.  I am still not convinced about the arrangements for the self-employed. 

3. cost

They could limit it in the same way they have done with removing the waiting days.  You only get the increased amount if diagnosed with Covid-19 by 111 and issued with a relevant medical certificate.  

If they are serious about containing/delaying the spread then they have to ensure that those who have the virus do not attend work and spread it to others. 

9 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

They still need to actually bring the legislation before Parliament.  So far two promises and no legislation...

Sure, but I was specifically talking about SSP.  I am still not convinced about the arrangements for the self-employed. 

They could limit it in the same way they have done with removing the waiting days.  You only get the increased amount if diagnosed with Covid-19 by 111 and issued with a relevant medical certificate.  

If they are serious about containing/delaying the spread then they have to ensure that those who have the virus do not attend work and spread it to others. 

1. they have a 80 seat majority........

2.self-employed can claim from day 1 rather than day 8 and with no lower income limit......

3.at a unknown cost.......not going to happen and sick pay is much more than the rock n roll......

52 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

The self employed should get nothing.  They should have been following the three month rule.

14 minutes ago, Rog said:

The self employed should get nothing.  They should have been following the three month rule.

And what about those engaged by Uber, Deliveroo and others in the gig economy who simply don't earn enough to have three months money set aside.  Your solutions are always over simplified.